1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Coral wall

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by CJHannibal, Aug 22, 2018.

1. CJHannibal

CJHannibal Copepod

Hey all, I want to put out a feeler of what people think about coral walls like zoas or whatever taking over a back wall in an aio tank, aside from making sure the returns stay clear. This is my vision for my 7 gallon Waterbox I’ll be starting here in a few weeks. Obviously I have a lot of time before I add animals, but I want to have a game plan and see it through before I add my first coral. Thanks all for your input.

Haddonisreef likes this.
  2. Lmmchops

Lmmchops Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I have some montis that I'm trying to get to encrust the back of mine havent seen much spread but that havent been there for very long

Sent from my SM-G892A using MASC mobile app

CJHannibal likes this.
  3. CJHannibal

CJHannibal Copepod

Thanks Lmmchops, I did just noticed my typo, I wanted to ask if there were any problems or pitfalls people run into with doing this aside from possibly blocking flow?

4. Lmmchops

Lmmchops Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Oh gotcha I havent really heard of any other than putting stuff they regret like gsp or xenia.

Sent from my SM-G892A using MASC mobile app

CJHannibal likes this.
  5. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I've done it with green star polyps. Covered about 2/3 of my 150 tall tank (a 4ft x 30in. wall of aquarium) Added nice movement, easier to care for than scraping algae off the back. GSP can take over a tank and become a nuisance pretty quickly, but since none of my rockwork touched the wall it was more or less isolated. I've seen it done with zoas before, might work better on a smaller scale AIO. Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes!

CJHannibal likes this.
  6. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Not intentionally, but the last classroom tank had palys and other polyps growing on it. I agree with Chris, I like the added movement and not having to worry about cleaning it.

TheRealChrisBrown and CJHannibal like this.
  7. CJHannibal

CJHannibal Copepod

Thanks much. I’ll certainly be posting updates.

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  8. Off The Deep End

Off The Deep End Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

My back wall is matted with GSP and I love the movement and color I get from it, I hit it with a razor blade when it needs trimmed, super simple.

CJHannibal likes this.
  9. CJHannibal

CJHannibal Copepod

I was curious about that, with some these corals being toxic,

10. CJHannibal

CJHannibal Copepod

If any of you have some pics I’d love to see em. Thanks for the responses.

11. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

GSP isn't one of the toxic ones. Its Palys you need to be worried about and to a much lesser extent zoas. Gloves and eyewear are a must when trimming those. Never boil a rock with zoas or Palys, and always wash your hands.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

CJHannibal likes this.
  12. Milehigh_nano

Milehigh_nano Registered Users

I have some green encrusting gorgonians on the back wall in my nuvo 20 which have just started to spread! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

CJHannibal likes this.
  13. CJHannibal

CJHannibal Copepod

Nice, that looks fantastic.

14. Milehigh_nano

Milehigh_nano Registered Users

Thank you! Definitely a better coral option compared to GSP since these grow slower

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

15. Off The Deep End

Off The Deep End Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Not the best picture but here is my back wall. Screenshot_20180824-143425.png

CJHannibal likes this.
  16. CJHannibal

CJHannibal Copepod

Thanks for sharing your pic, looks great. I’m definitely going to fill up my wall. Thinking all zoas, 3 different colors.