Coraline Algae and LEDs

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Curious what kind of coraline algae those running straight leds are getting. Mine seems to be depleting since switching from mh and vho to straight LEDs.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run straight LED's and have plenty of coralline algae. Coralline seems to do best with bluer light and when phosphates are low. Maybe turn down the whites some on your LED's or shorten the whites photoperiod? My whites peak at 95% and ramp down to 50 for 4 hours and then they stay at 50% for the rest of the day. My white photoperiod is not very intense most of the day.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got coralline growing like crazy!! Starting to see the cupping coralline on my back glass. What's your mag at?

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had tons of purple/pink corraline with my CAD LED's but of course that was on a 22g tank....I could barely keep up with it. I think you'll see a resurgence if you do what DJKMS says or just give it some time. My PO4 was at 0.01 consistently

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Well heck I only run whites for 6hrs aday and I haven't tested my tank in 6 months so I couldn't tell you the mag. I would actually be scared to test for fear of wanting to chase the chemistry and freaking out ;)

With that being said I'm sure there is something in there I am lacking so might look into testing it lol

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When i switched over mine almost disappeared, however after the first month or two it turned around and has begun to multiply again

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;174465 said:
Well heck I only run whites for 6hrs aday and I haven't tested my tank in 6 months so I couldn't tell you the mag. I would actually be scared to test for fear of wanting to chase the chemistry and freaking out ;)

With that being said I'm sure there is something in there I am lacking so might look into testing it lol
I envy your bravery and style....oh and the tank! Getting excited about the 90g!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I only ask because I've heard higher mag #s support coralline growth, and my mag is always around 1700. Even with my 1 PO4, I still see tons of it. But don't go chasing on my account!! I'd be more worried if corals look bad than coralline issues!!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ya corals actually look great and everything seems to be growing and doing fine. Only changes I have seen lately is the coraline depleting.

For the record I only do 5 gallon water changes 3 days a week and I drip dose kalk about once a week on avg. Otherwise I only supplement trace elements every other week and zooplankton every few days.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My rocks got covered in a really nice purple coralline very quickly. I agree with Kris that more blue light will help.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine has taken off sence the led change a yr ago! I do chase the chemistry of the tank though! But only test every other week! After a while you get the idea of how much and what you need to dose. I run 120 watt Chinese w some reef brights for supp lament.