Couple Apex questions

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been doing some research on the various controllers on the market today and I've settled on the Apex. Now a few simple questions:

-Does the Apex ever go on sale? I've noticed that sales usually exclude items from Neptune Systems. Just wondering if it makes sense to wait for a Black Friday sale or something.

-My tank is not within reach of an Ethernet cable. Is the easiest way to connect the Apex to the internet a WiFi to Ethernet adapter (like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KPBRRW/ref=twister_B00DFK5C5U)?

-I am not going to use the PH probe to control anything. With this in mind, is there any reason to get the version with the "lab grade" PH probe? Is it worth the extra $25?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions. Thanks!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They rarely if ever go on sale. They are doing a special right now that you gey a free AFS woth purchase of an Apex gold system, but that is it. If you want a cheaper option, O have an apex lite base unit that is collecting dust in my garage ill sell it to you for $100. All you would need is an EB8 and probes.

2. The best thing is a wifi range extender if your router supports wps.

3. The neptune lab grade probes are garbage. If you want a probe that will last a long time, get a brs lab grade probe.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agreed, they don't vary much from Map. If I recall correctly (might have to search the forum here or neptunes) but there was a sale on black Friday/Monday last year. Used is the way to go if you keep on eye on reef central or reef2reef.

The wireless adapter will work just fine.

The lite version which isn't made anymore will work or the Jr will do the same. Just depends on how many outlets and what you want to control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have an Apex so I cant offer to much there but I do use the same wifi adapter you have linked above with my RKE and it works great. Super easy to set up and just works.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool. A BRS 10x points sale would be the next best thing if they don't usually go on sale. The free auto feeder is a kind of lame promotion since they even charge you $17 shipping to get the free auto feeder (i dont need the gold version anyway).

Is the Apex Lite base unit the same unit that comes with the standard Apex?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I use the Netgear card you linked to above and in my house it is pretty spotty. Seems like I constantly lose the WLAN light and have to press the WPS button on my router and on the card to get it back. I have less than stellar Wifi in my house though. One thing to keep in mind is that when you need to update the Apex firmware they require you to be hard line connected to your router. You may want to invest in a lengthy ethernet cable for those instances. Their directions specifically say don't try this update over Wifi.

I really wrestled with lite vs. regular Apex dilemma as well. Ultimately I went with the regular one because the lite has been discontinued and if something should go awry I like knowing I can easily get replacement parts. Remember this is electrical stuff being placed near liquid stuff....the chances of water + electricity are ever present!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;326352 said:
Is the Apex Lite base unit the same unit that comes with the standard Apex?
Same processor and memory, but doesnt have any 0-10V variable spped ports built in and has one pH port instead of 2. Until Neptune stopped making them, they were the go to choice for people running one tank with no calcium reactor or 0-10V devices.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I just hooked my Apex up and loving it so far. But ya Apex never goes on sale. I was lucky enough to find some modules at MACNA that were 10% off and I jumped on them cause you never get any discount on those. Buying one used will save you a little bit but not a whole lot since their resale value stays pretty well intact. I also have mine running on the netgear wireless controller and works great, was super easy to setup. You will have to wire in the apex the first time around to set everything up and do firmware updates but otherwise the wireless works great. Like others said too the neptune ph probes arent that great, BRS or Milwaukee probes are the way to go.
Also I have a WXM module up for sale if you are needing one, will save you a bit there as well.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got the Apex and set it up almost a month ago. I think I have a good grasp of the basics now and everything is connected. Now I want to see what else I may be overlooking or missed on my initial setup.

I have the Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO. Any suggestions for programming it? This is what I have currently:
Fallback ON
OSC 000:00/001:00/000:00 Then ON
If FeedB 005 Then OFF

I know i could add a backup float switch if I add the breakout box, but this ATO already has some built in programming and redundancy which is why I felt okay setting it to Fallback ON. Anything else I'm missing here?
Can I set an alarm in case it is staying on for more than a minute or turning on more than a couple times in an hour?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Change the OSC statement to Set ON.

There is no way to add the alarms you requested when ATO is done through a tunze. Those alarms can only be done if the Apex is taking care of the ATO using the breakout box.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;336863 said:
Change the OSC statement to Set ON.

There is no way to add the alarms you requested when ATO is done through a tunze. Those alarms can only be done if the Apex is taking care of the ATO using the breakout box.
Thanks, I had a feeling that was the case.
What is the difference between the OSC statement (OSC 000:00/001:00/000:00 Then ON vs. OSC Set ON)? Is that just a cleaner way of accomplishing the same thing? I originally programmed it as a pump and not through "advanced", so that was how i had to set it to be on all the time.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Couple Apex questions

You wouldn't use the OSC at all, it's mainly used as a timer. But in your case your not telling it how much time to stay off between on cycles. So you can just tell the outlet to be on. "Set ON"

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its cleaner and has less room for user error down the road. Ie with the osc statement, you could be looking through your code and think "I screwed something up, did i mean 000:00/001:00/059:00" end up changing it without thinking and end up using the tunze like a dosing pump until it overfills or underfills until you notice something is wrong (since upon energization the tunze runs for about a minute)

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are 3 days/group of days that Apex go on sale: MACNA, reefapalooza, and Black Friday.

That is the same adapter that I use on my 120g. But the range is about 25 ft or so reliably. I prefer wireless bridges/range extenders as you can get about 100ft range out of them.

+1 to the BRS probes. The Neptune ones suck. Milwaukee Probes are good as well.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys.
Seth, I ended up buying it on Black Friday. Another good time to buy them is when BRS does 10x points (last time they included the items with MAP pricing).

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;336872 said:
Thanks guys.
Seth, I ended up buying it on Black Friday. Another good time to buy them is when BRS does 10x points (last time they included the items with MAP pricing).

yup BRS's way to get arround MAP pricing :p