\creative title

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Hello all. Been lurking for a bit, figured I should actually try to contribute.

Name's Jodi. Reefed for a while in college (when I definitely couldn't afford it). Reef, FOWLR, freshwater, nano, etc. Now in a much better place in my life and getting back into the hobby.

29g biocube cycling and ready for reef when its all said and done. Just moved my 40g freshwater tank to my classroom. It'll probably get more attention there than it ever got at home.

In non-fish news: I teach math at the same school as Mural, and knew Scott Chase back in college - his old tank in his apartment is probably what got me into this hobby. I've got a husband and two little ones (plus dog), so obviously I need a reef to take care of as well. Anything nerdy, I'm probably into it.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's the plan for the bio cube? What do ya plan on keeping? As soon as it's running we all enjoy pictures and details about set up like what kind of equipment you are using.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Lurker! I saw that you joined a while back and was wondering when you'd post up. Welcome aboard!

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Haddonisreef;367873 said:
What's the plan for the bio cube? What do ya plan on keeping? As soon as it's running we all enjoy pictures and details about set up like what kind of equipment you are using.
Plan is up in the air at the moment. The cube has the stock compact fluorescent lighting, plus some LED bars that I added, but I'm unsure about how much quality light they actually produce. I've been looking into LED kits, but I don't really want to put out the money just yet. I'm not a "pretty stick" girl - I prefer the softies and maybe a couple LPS. So I don't think I really need to upgrade the lighting just yet.

Husband wants an anemone, and I've kept BTA's before under both compact fluorescent and halides. The CF's actually seemed to do better - I was able to propagate those BTAs really easily. The halide was prettier, but that anemone never split (even though it was a clone of my original). That tank was also smaller, so that may have been part of the issue. I know CFs are frowned upon for anemones. So we'll see.

Plan is definitely two "Nemos" since my kids love the movie. And maybe a firefish or royal gramma. We'll see. Still looking into what to do in that second back chamber. I'll add a protein skimmer to the first chamber after the cycle is done, and I took out the bioballs. But haven't figured out what I want to do there yet. I've got about 10 of the filter cartridges for mechanical filtration (tank was used, and they came with). But I'm looking into perhaps an led and some chateo there. I don't love the filter floss or chemipure options.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
MuralReef;367893 said:
Lurker! I saw that you joined a while back and was wondering when you'd post up. Welcome aboard!
Lurkers for lyyyyyyyyyyyyfe

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Oh, I've already lurked that several times. Your diy fuge light is exactly my plan. I was hopping you'd put up more details about your diy media rack. I also have a hard time paying $50 for the professional one.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
My hubby and I do all our own home remodels and furniture construction. When we got this tank with the "name brand" stand, I was so disappointed by its lack of quality. The one we built for the 40g in my classroom is light years ahead of the bio cube fiberboard nonsense.

So safe to stay all the DIY in your thread had my attention a long time ago.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
What'd you build it out of? Things you love? Things you'd do differently? How's it working? Still running the same things on your two racks? Pictures?

Looks like you have your chateo in the first chamber where my heater (and skimmer) are located. So I'm trying to decide how to do my middle chamber.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What'd you build it out of?
Acrylic

Things you love?
Cost. Functionality

Things you'd do differently?
Design it how I have it now the first time ;).

How's it working? Still running the same things on your two racks? Pictures?

Still running. This is in second chamber. I don't run a skimmer anymore. No need for tank this small with softy dominant. First chamber has heater. Second chamber has 2 racks. 1st rach has filter floss, purigen, and chemipure blue.
Second is bottom fed cheato. Ill add pics.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Thank you! I'd appreciate any and all details.

I showed your setup and my husband goes "that sure looks like a computer fan". :) He builds them.

The nerdism runs strong in our family.