Credit card rewards

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone use their miles for travel? Curious what you get in $$ per mile if buying tickets vs cashing the miles in.

I know my cards give .01 per mile on cash back. 100,000 miles = $1000.00

I can trade miles for .0135 on the "black market". 100,000 miles = $1350.00

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know what the exact value is for cashing in ours is (I can check if you'd like) because we use them for travel. We have been to the UK (x2), Africa, Keys, St Croix, Cozumel, CA (x6-8), HI, NC, maybe others, and have Thailand and BC Canada booked for the Summer... all on miles.

Our cards are tied to the airlines we use the most, so it's nice to have a cache on tap when we want to get outta Dodge.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
goslugsgo;300202 said:
I don't know what the exact value is for cashing in ours is (I can check if you'd like) because we use them for travel. We have been to the UK (x2), Africa, Keys, St Croix, Cozumel, CA (x6-8), HI, NC, maybe others, and have Thailand and BC Canada booked for the Summer... all on miles.

Our cards are tied to the airlines we use the most, so it's nice to have a cache on tap when we want to get outta Dodge.

Yes, I'd be curious if you can find one easily.

I have some stored up for travel - Capital One - but have been cashing in United and Chase for $$ lately, figure I can churn cards and make $$ for fish stuff :)

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jeremiah;300221 said:
So do you guys just bounce around cards? get the intro points, cash them in then cancel after a year?
Yep, I flip cards on a regular basis. I've probably netted $5k in the last 12 months doing it. You have to be diligent and ontop of everything, otherwise it can get you into trouble. Also, it takes a solid credit score, as yours could take a hit. I wouldn't consider it if you're house/car shopping.

Finally, you need to move between banks, I've heard of people getting blacklisted from some banks for opening and closing too many accounts. But there's so many banks to do this with I never have had an issue.

But oddly, in my case, I only see 2 hard hits on my record, and only a 5 point swing in credit scores over the last 3 years of doing this.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
And if you're looking for creative ways to hit the spending requirements, look into Amazon Payments. Basically you send yourself $1000 each month. It meets the requirement to get the mileage bonus and costs you nothing.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
One more tidbit... use www.creditkarma.com for monitoring. It'll help you keep an eye on credit scores, credit pulls, etc, and it costs nothing. I used to be crazy and actually pay for monthly service. Then I found creditkarma :)

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When you have 20+ cards, it helps :)

And no affiliation with them, just a nice service that matches what some places charge $10 a month for...

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So you don't even care if they have fees, because if you cash in the points for cash you end up paying off the fee + some with the points they gave you.

nice....so what are these underground methods of cashing in points for more that you mention?

Munch;300222 said:
That's not bad, no fee is good, 40k is marginal. Most decent deals are 50k.

They once in a blue moon deals are 100k.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fees are not ideal, but sometime un-avoidable. Lots of cards charge them, ie Chase Southwest, but they give you points each year to offset (6,000 miles). So yea, you might drop $69 upfront with them, but you get 50k in miles which is 2-3 flights or about $650 if you sell them, so a fair return for $69 investment.

Also, the nice thing is, when you goto cancel your card after cashing in on it, they usually throw you something to keep the card open. Keep in mind they dropped 50k in miles to get you to sign up, they definitely wanna keep you if possible. I just got 20k in points from Citi to keep a card open.

I have a guy that buys miles for .0135 a mile. Found him on slickdeals.net, with good referrals. I've done two transactions with him in the past month and have the $$ in my paypal within minutes of transferring the miles. Downside was he couldn't send as a gift, and I didn't want to wait for a check in the mail. I figured the miles were free, so $50 pp fee didn't hurt in the end. (He had sent about $1800).

Ideally you start with the cards with no fee, or free the first year, then move onto cards where there's a fee...

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If someone is serious about doing it, post up questions. There's lots of ins and outs, and will be unique based on your situation.

For example, if you're just starting out with credit cards, this can screw you up fast. Each new card hurts your score, ie - length of credit established, so there's things to keep an eye on.

In my personal situation, I have had credit since age 18 so about 25 years, but with all the churning my credit avg age is like 5 years. I have core cards I'll never close that I've had 25 years. The other I churn all the time. It jumps up when I close the recent cards, which is good. But I have enough stability that the churn doesn't affect my scores overall.