Crowther's E-260

So, I know I'm not there yet. But, here's the plan for fish additions:
1st Saddle Valentini Puffer and Green Mandarin
2nd Pajama Cardinalfish x3
3rd Tracey's Damselfish x3
4th Chalk Bass

What do you guys think?

Balz3352;n669342 said:
Mandarins are very!! Picky eaters. Just be aware. Aquatic Art has brought in tank bred ones but still i might think about moving him back towards the end so you have pods.

Damsels are also notorious for being jerks
My wife is in love with the Mardarin. I agree though, I'll add him later.

Tracey's Damselfish are only 2" at maturity. So, they would be the smallest fish in the tank...

Balz3352;669347 said:
You'd be surprised what a little blank hole of a fish could do. Lol. Definitely look at the tank raised Mandarins. I love mine probably gonna get another

Guess which one is her favorite fish
It'll be a good excuse to get down to Aquatic Art.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

My Nitrite is rising, but Ammonia and Nitrate are falling. I suspect the Nitrate fell because I got some when I added the sand and piece of live rock from neil82 and Balz3352's tanks, but have not yet established a colony of Nitrate producing bacteria.

Over the last two days, my Ammonia went from 1.5 ppm to 0.5 ppm, my Nitrite went from 1.0 ppm to 4.5 ppm, and my Nitrate went from 5.0 ppm to 0 ppm. I decided to check Phosphate today, it is 0 ppm.

Is it advisable to add another shrimp at this point to produce more Ammonia to feed the Nitrite producing bacteria or just let it be?

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Found the thread. Nice looking tank, besides my monster I've been wanting to do a like 40b I can just look into and get my hands into easily. For that rodi setup I didnt see but some harbor freight square dollies could be handy for rolling the water tub around since I was assuming it's only in bathroom when in use?

Other thread has my thoughts on mandarin. I have always kept them, and I think you can get away with it too. But with this size tank I'd certainly do the long wait. If you can what I'd do is wait for a "used" one is what I like finding a big healthy established one. The babies stores get I dont think take as well.

I love the various tiny puffers, but they may be a problem if you ever want clams/coral. I've seen mixed things with them being aggressive towards other fish. Possibly eat some of your snail/crabs too.

Fitz19d;n669445 said:
Found the thread. Nice looking tank, besides my monster I've been wanting to do a like 40b I can just look into and get my hands into easily. For that rodi setup I didnt see but some harbor freight square dollies could be handy for rolling the water tub around since I was assuming it's only in bathroom when in use?

Other thread has my thoughts on mandarin. I have always kept them, and I think you can get away with it too. But with this size tank I'd certainly do the long wait. If you can what I'd do is wait for a "used" one is what I like finding a big healthy established one. The babies stores get I dont think take as well.

I love the various tiny puffers, but they may be a problem if you ever want clams/coral. I've seen mixed things with them being aggressive towards other fish. Possibly eat some of your snail/crabs too.
I'll have to take a look at your monster sometime. You're right down the road from me.

The RODI is a work in progress. I've been using a trash can dolly that's designed for the trash can that acts as my reservoir. So, I fill it up in the kids' bathroom (pictured previously) and roll it out to where the tank is in the great room. Then, disconnect the RODI etc. It's kind of a pain. I need to find a way to do it with quick connects or something. I'm also going to have to start to store it all in five gallon buckets so that I don't have a trash can in my living area. At least those smaller portions can be carried from storage and added as needed.

The Saddle Valentini Puffer is cool looking. But, like the Debelius Lobster, hit or miss. So, I might end up skipping it. I have a spreadsheet that I am constantly changing. At this point, I have the puffer swapped out for a Mystery Wrasse (if I can ever find one). I think I also have currently swapped the Chalk Bass for a Harlequin Basslet.

I definitely want to add coral. So, I've got to keep that in mind. Also need to figure when, in the scheme of additions, to start adding it.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I forget if the h basslet is one of the mean ones now that I'm at work. Not sure if maybe tank on the small side but i think the chalk is good. Just like $30 and you usually want 2to3. I wanted them but decided not to with the rest of my stock list. Similiar but i think meaner are tobacco and lantern basslet.

All the flavors of fairy wrasse are cool. I had one that I'm not sure what it was i had in quarantine. Basically are out of hand and could touch it. Day before he went in the main be got spooked somehow and jumped...

Which brings me to. Planning a screen top? Especially with wrasse or anything skittish.

I have the basslets narrowed down to: chalk, lantern, and harlequin. That is based on my tank size and them not normally being overly aggressive to dissimilar species. Unless you get a bonded pair, I am told you are supposed to stick to one basslet. My smallest planned fish addition are the Tracey's Damselfish. From what I understand about Damselfish, they can fend for themselves.

Balz3352 gave me some netting when I was checking out his system last week. The plan is to get a window screen kit and use that netting to make a cover. I saw one somewhere online where the guy had added some mounts inside the upper rim of the tank and was able to mount the screen flush. I should probably get on that before my shrimp get here.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've never done a fishless cycle, and this is a little late now but.... shouldn't you use a raw piece of shrimp (gray) not a cooked shrimp (pink)? Maybe it makes no difference.

TheRealChrisBrown;n669461 said:
I've never done a fishless cycle, and this is a little late now but.... shouldn't you use a raw piece of shrimp (gray) not a cooked shrimp (pink)? Maybe it makes no difference.
It does look pink doesn't it? I'm pretty sure the package said raw though. Anyway, it cycled.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Crowther;n669465 said:
It does look pink doesn't it? I'm pretty sure the package said raw though. Anyway, it cycled.
I read a little more on it, and it said it didn't matter if it was raw or cooked. The cycle would take longer with a cooked, but it would eventually do it's thing. Also said a raw "might" add some different bacteria. Anyway, none of t really matters because your cycle is in full force. I was just curious is all.

Tank looks great, I like the rock work. Take you time and go super slow. Patience is key!

TheRealChrisBrown;n669489 said:
I read a little more on it, and it said it didn't matter if it was raw or cooked. The cycle would take longer with a cooked, but it would eventually do it's thing. Also said a raw "might" add some different bacteria. Anyway, none of t really matters because your cycle is in full force. I was just curious is all.

Tank looks great, I like the rock work. Take you time and go super slow. Patience is key!
I started out thinking: no problem, I'll be patient. So much harder when you have the thing sitting in your family room filled with water and you become totally obsessed!

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
While waiting, best i can say is make sure all equipment, timers, controller's etc working right. Play with the rock scape while it's empty.

Worst case cover in a sheet and pretend it's not there until you've reached the appointed time. Always err on the side of caution.

Saw a light that looked like a tank light coming from another room in earlier pic... Is this your only tank? Its soooo hard to wait but you will be so thankful in the end. Youve still got algal blooms coming, coraline to grow, probably a tast of cyno... So much fun. Tank is goimg to look great though. Like the scape.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

timnem70;n669631 said:
Saw a light that looked like a tank light coming from another room in earlier pic... Is this your only tank? Its soooo hard to wait but you will be so thankful in the end. Youve still got algal blooms coming, coraline to grow, probably a tast of cyno... So much fun. Tank is goimg to look great though. Like the scape.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Yeah. That's my only tank. No algal bloom yet. I added phyto and pods and turned the lights on. No sign of the pods and no phyto bloom. I hope the pods found refuge in the rock or sand and are growing.

All my levels stayed good. So, yesterday I pulled the trigger and added my first fish--three pajama cardinals--along with a few coral specimens. Today, I added my marine grass shrimp. The cardinals loved them! Some smart/lucky ones seem to have survived. Hopefully, they breed and clean.