Cultivating Phyto & Pods

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone have any experience with this? Is it easy to set up and do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'm planning on giving it a try using gallon size wine bottles to grow phyto, rotifers, and pods. I've seen some successful grow outs, but I have yet to really try it.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I highly recommend growing phyto in glass carboys. They are easy to clean and have good light penetration.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;663263 said:
I highly recommend growing phyto in glass carboys. They are easy to clean and have good light penetration.
Any place local that sells these?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Irishman;663265 said:
Any place local that sells these?

Look online they sell them for making wine.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So do I need to get the phyto in the dish to start cultivating or can I just get x-amount from LFS and then grow from there? Basically asking if they have to be in a certain stage to start cultivation? Also which phyto type should I get or would work best for our hobby?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fourthwind;663270 said:
Be sure to get yourself a 50 micron collector for harvest
What?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fourthwind;663270 said:
I use these for pods. [video]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S4LOYY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/video]

Trying an experiment of using a 2.5 gallon glass tank wrapped in 6500k leds for Phyto

Be sure to get yourself a 50 micron collector for harvest
What's the purpose for the 50 micron collector?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fourthwind;663279 said:
For filtering the pods out of the water when you want to harvest. Typically the water they are in has a fair amount of ammonia and nutrients you don't want to dump in your tank. I find I missed a lot of the small pods with the 120 to 150 size.

http://www.aquaculturenurseryfarms.c...on-collectors/
Yea that makes sense. I thought you were talking about phyto

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've gotten phyto cultures from Florida Aqua Farms in the past: http://florida-aqua-farms.com/product-category/store/live-cultures/

I had pretty good luck growing my own phyto before. I grew three different algae (iso, tetra, and nanno). Many of these are non-motile and will suffocate and die if not maintained in moving water, hence the common use of bubblers. However, the bubbles weren't always enough. My cultures used to crash regularly. I'm sure that at least part of that was user error. I'm going to build my own magnetic stirrer when I have time to start up cultures again.