Cut down 125 gallon.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
OK, it is about time that I start on this tank. I have a 125 gallon tank that is torn apart. When I was moving it I inadvertantly missed my foot I putting the glass down and hit the concrete. Needless to say I broke it and I am wanting to make it into a 10 inch frag tank.

Does anyone have any experience cutting that thick glass. I really don't want to break it again and make it unusable. Please let me know if anyone could lend a hand.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Consider calling one of the larger glass suppliers, DGI, or Ken Caryl, for example, and price them to cut it. I swear cutting glass is more of an art than a science, but I doubt even they will guarantee a successful cut.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I've heard that ace offers to cut glass. Do you have any company that you could recommend for this. I would like to get it done soon.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;368431 said:
Consider calling one of the larger glass suppliers, DGI, or Ken Caryl, for example, and price them to cut it. I swear cutting glass is more of an art than a science, but I doubt even they will guarantee a successful cut.
I had a tank I got that I cracked and I wanted to cut it for the glass panels in my sump, they threw the aquarium glass away and made panes for me for $5. Worth calling but with aquarium glass they usually advise to start over.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Only way to cut thick stuff like that is to grind it. Not really worth it IMO.

Ive cut 1/2" on a bench top tile saw. I took a 150 long apart and used the glass for baffels. It wasnt easy but I was successful.