CW's 93

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Finally got my hands on a 93 cube a little over a week ago. Going to use it to replace a 40(ish) cube I bought a macna back in 14.

Here's the 40.

93 sitting next to my 150.

Most of my equipment should transfer well,
Trigger systems crystal 18 sump
Skimz sn123 skimmer
Apex controller
600gph return

The pieces I'm still figuring out are lighting, plumbing and the stand.

Lighting - I've got a hydra 26 on the current tank. Could go with two on the new tank. There's a Kessil 360 be been using over a Fuge, but I hear they have poor penetration on 93 cubes. I also have a 250w hqi halide from a build a few years ago. Not sure what direction to go.

Plumbing - stuck between a dual drain with the rerun coming up and over the back or just using the standard drain/return.

Stand - talk about a piece of furniture that makes me nervous. This thing seems flimsy as heck. Not sure how I feel about using it in my family room with the kids.

Will update with livestock transfer and future plans in a bit.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. Yeah, love the cubes as well. All but one tank has been square - 16g IM when I first started.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Livestock will be a mix from both systems.

From the small tank:
2 clowns (one onyx and one platinum)
Banded goby
Green carpet nem
Rainbow nem
GSP
Random polyps that I've acquired and placed in there

From the 150 I'll transfer a yellow tang and my PBT. The powder brown is really a personable fish and he needs to be in a more occupied room.

I'll probably stay on the lookout for a pair of wrasses in the future.

Mostly I want movement and color in the tank. So it'll stay nems and maybe some softies. Might transfer my marbled hammer and gold hammer in.

Anyone ever have any issues with the standard Marineland stand for the 93's. Was just looking at it again and can't decide if I should keep it.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Light is on order. Reefbrite hybrid - 400w. I'll be running the twin arc 14/20k and see how it goes. Probably run the 14 for 4 hours then the 20 for 4.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I built a platform for the stand and added a 12" piece of ply to the top. Considerably more sturdy with the ply.

Also, probably not adding sand. The stained wood will hopefully look decent through the bottom.

Out of curiosity, how does one source a steel stand and what's the general cost (if you don't mind)?

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hit a bunch of rock with muriatic acid and have now pulled about 5 bristle worms out of the cleaned rock.

Also have a couple small bubbles in the seam. Waiting to find out from Marineland if it's ok to use or not.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, the bubbles are not ok. Being refunded for the tank. Hopefully all other parts will be here by the time I get a new tank in.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. Looking forward to getting it running as well. AA brought in a replacement tank last week, but the seams wound up having more bubbles in that one than the original. #3 will hopefully be in this week. With any luck it will be bubble free.