Day of collecting in Florida

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
So I drove down to West Palm Beach today and did some collecting for the aquarium. Bought a 5 gallon bucket and a battery operated air for the trip home and will get some salt and a second bucket tomorrow to just do 100% water changes daily. The license you need is $17 for three days for out of state residents so not too bad. Also picked up a butterfly net for the actual catching for two bucks and it made it through the day but won't last much longer. Had a lot of fun and just used snorkel gear with the better spot being under one of the big bridges down there. Catching wasn't too bad and total I caught 1 French angel, 4 filefish, 5 French grunts, 2 parrotfish, a bunch of large blennies and one small red lip blenny, some arrow crabs, 2 high hats, 6 ocean surgeonfish(Acanthurus bahianus), a sharp nose puffer and some clear shrimp. Ended up keeping the angel, grunts, the small blenny, an arrow crab, 4 of the tangs and I think I still have the puffer though it was tiny and now I cant find it.
And for a few pics of them in the bucket tonight
Ocean surgeon (here are some adult pics: http://reefguide.org/carib/surgeonfish.html

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Looks like you had fun. We always collect stuff in the tide pools in Hawaii. Never kept anything but always wanted to. Maybe a trip to Florida would be fun for that.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Also found that with the equipment I had wrasses are out of the question think I need a barrier net for them

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

scchase;253780 said:
Also found that with the equipment I had wrasses are out of the question think I need a barrier net for them
Yup, gotta chase them into the barrier.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for sharing this Scott. Awesome!

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Just an update I got everyone home safe and sound. Now into quarantine for another week then I will divide everybody up for grow out till they go in their final home.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm curious too.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
All but 1 of the french grunts doing well and lost that oneto aggression. Ill move some of the fish out of q mext week