DBTC green and purple zoas

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Really great frag, thank you so much. Well worth the drive and wonderful to see your beautiful tank!!

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! Glad you are happy.

2sweet;180909 said:
Really great frag, thank you so much. Well worth the drive and wonderful to see your beautiful tank!!

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have fragged the one I received and have given a couple out and I have one left if any one wants it.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
WatercolorsGuy;182909 said:
I have fragged the one I received and have given a couple out and I have one left if any one wants it.
I guess Brian (09bumblebee) is going to take mine since we live close by. So I don't have it anymore. Thx

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
these zoas are growing so fast I'll have some to frag in no time at all...yikes!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
One of us can show you on Saturday. Wicked likes to cut the rock, Dvenson likes to cut on clean lines. There are several ways to do it.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Fragging can be a bit intimidating at first, expecially when you decide to chop up that prized coral. But all and all its very easy. Many methods, some work better than others, the guys at the swap will be able to teach you proper.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ive been blasted by Zoas before, they can fire that nasty liquid pretty far. Luckily I wear glasses and have since invested in additional eye protection. Im more concerned with bristle worms. Seems like everytime I pull a colony out to cut frags theres a damn bristle worm waiting to sting me, and Ive been stung, dosent hurt too bad, but it leaves this extremley irritating abrasion and can be very dangerous if your allergic to bees (form what Ive heard).

Ive never lost a colony form fragging, have had frags die, but no colonies and I usually cut and scrape the zoas directly off the rock with an exacto knife and glue right to a plug. SPS are fairly easy, most of them will just break, LPS can be another story. Things like favias and acans can have a very hard calcuim base and need to be cut with a dremmel or surgical bone cutters. Ive seen favias with 2" thick skeletons.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow. I've never been hit by a bristle worm but I'm always ready when I put my hands in the tank.. so theres a bunch of different ways I'm assuming. Such as band saw and scraping to whittling the rock around the base. Do you wear gloves?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
LOL, I do now! Wear gloves that is.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
I'd like to learn too!

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all. Reviving this thread. Someone (forgotten) that picked up one of these frags was interested in grabbing some of my dark green zoas. If you are still interested I have fragged it. Photo attached. I have 3 frags so I'll probably start another thread for the others.[attachment=62481:name]