Digitate hydroids

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone ever dealt with these guys? They have spread quickly and now appear to be stinging our hammer coral. Information online suggested they go away on their own while others suggested nothing kills them. Anyone have any experience that can help!

Thanks

Paul

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you talking about the white string like filter feeders that extend out of the rocks/substrate? I have a ton of them in my fuge but haven't seen them in my display tank yet.

Didn't know they could sting. I do know that hammer corals have a sting though

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
yup...same as i have....other than getting everywhere, i always thought they were ok....still can't find any hard evidence that they sting though....just a preliminary look

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;336471 said:
I had them... They do go away. I left most of them alone except ones bothering my zoas and I just super glued them!
+1
I superglued some and others I had to kalk to get them gone.

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had to deal with a different type of hydroid in my tank as well. They do eventually die on their own in most tanks, but it is possible for an established tank to keep feeding them and allowing them to reproduce. The hydroids i had in my tank were continuing to breed to the point where i was getting stung all over my arms any time i reached in my tank. What i did, and suggest, is to suck as many of them out with a turkey baster or something similar, if their "string" doesnt come loose you can just snip it with some scissors or something and then suck them all out with the baster. I did this daily and it took about 2 weeks of this for them to stop breeding and die.