Disappearing zoas

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I really hate it when zoas just vanish. Had about 10 heads of CARS doing great. Went away for the weekend and come back and they are gone. Plug is still there, just no zoas. Everything else is fine including tons of other zoas. Odd. Nothing left to each them since I got rid of my flame angel.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya, I can't stand it...happens all the time to me.

Right now for some reason my King Midas are disappearing. I don't know if i have a predator in tank going after them, because it always seems like something in my tank is ticked off.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Peppermint shrimp?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check for nudibranchs. I had the same thing happen in my tank and they only seemed to eat off one colony for some reason. I found a couple, thought I got rid of them then pulled out 10 more about a month later. The ones I had were about the same color as my eagle eyes. They only seemed to come out right before lights out and then were out at night. I think I solved the problem. I dipped all of my zoa colonies before placing them into my new tank and didn't find any more.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;326119 said:
Peppermint shrimp?
Potentially....I added some over a year ago and I thought that they had died when the aiptasia was gone but I saw them the other day hiding under some based rock in a hole sooo...

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
fiji4118;326128 said:
Potentially....I added some over a year ago and I thought that they had died when the aiptasia was gone but I saw them the other day hiding under some based rock in a hole sooo...
My bet would be here. If they ran out of aptasia, theyve been eating something. I know i was having issues with LPS and zoas disappearing, although I never actually saw the peppermint shrimp eating them, no sooner did I remove his *** that everyhting started coming back.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Frag em recently? I had a huge thriving colony, fragged a few heads off, and two weeks later the main colony just melted.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
No. And they usually take longer to melt. I actually saw them yesterday and they were fine so it was over night.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have u moved them? My al rainbows from gonzo went caput and then got some fragged from Scott did the same thing, never did find the sweet spot for them w the lights.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a frag of a few polyps I can give you to get ya going again, pm if interested.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think it's the nature of zoas, that's why I'm switching over to chalices :)

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;326210 said:
I think it's the nature of zoas, that's why I'm switching over to chalices :)
Same here, but zoas are so prolific. I try and keep them in 2-3 separate areas so if one melts, I have others.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
IME, the main reason that this happens is heat - some don't like being much over 78 and 80 is too high... if you get up to 81 or 82, then forget about some of them. This is when some colonies are totally fine and others melt. One of my good friends in KC is a Z&P nut and has hundreds of colonies with hundreds or thousands of heads with most designer/collector zoas and once he got a chiller and stayed stable at 77 degrees most of them don't melt anymore. This is especially true with the deepwaters.

The other reason is light spectrum, IME.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So happy to report that it wasn't any of the issues brought up on the string. I was looking at my tank this morning and in one of the rear collection areas there they were. Problem? Glue failure! So I pulled them out and glued them back into their spot. Thanks all!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
lol, glad it was something nefarious