Dissolved oxygen and algae

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
What is the proper balance of dissolved oxygen to inhibit algal growth? I'm looking for a percentage or mg/l measurement. I've been feverishly browsing the web for the answer. No hard numbers, just people saying that oxygenation helps inhibit algal growth.

This started from me wanting to do an UAS, which led to how much oxygen is too much, which led to finding that low dissolved oxygen causes an algal bloom.

So, what's the numbers?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

This would be great to know. I'm sure there are wildlife and environmental impact studies out there that have recorded what the content is in various parts of the ocean. Finding that info could be tricky but at least it would give you a starting point. Hmmm....I'll have to ask around and report back. :)

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't think I have ever seen anything related to this. But have never really looked either. Interested to know what you find out.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Dissolved oxygen and algae

I'm thinking about getting a DO meter to find out. Kinda pricey for a curiosity project though. I did find out that there is a point where you can have too much DO in the water, fish get some swim bladder thing (thing=I forgot what is was specifically)

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Get. Hat tank circulating. While you do that reading.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

So, after looking around and talking to some people, it sounds like the DO in most of our reef tanks is probably high enough to inhibit algae growth. I can't find a well established upper limit, and I'm having a hard time finding anything in mg/l. Now I'm intrigued, so I will keep looking.

For what it's worth, NODC has DO readings from around the world.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dissolved oxygen and algae

I wonder if this is where h2o2 comes into play with algae problems.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Maybe. Hydrogen Peroxide increases the DO, does the same thing in our blood, heheh. Here is where it can be tricky though:

In the presence of light, respiration and photosynthesis can occur simultaneously in algae. However, the respiration rate is low compared with the photosynthesis rate, resulting in a net consumption of carbon dioxide and production of oxygen. In the absence of light, algal respiration continues while photosynthesis stops, resulting in a net consumption of oxygen and production of carbon dioxide.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

So, in theory, could we keep a cryptic sump full of algae to combat low pH issues during winter? We'd just need to export the nutrients that the dying algae will release? So a setup like DJKMS would be optimal?

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So i'm not sure how this affects PH exactly, but there is a device called an Oxydator that releases hydrogen peroxide into the system to raise oxygen levels. Albert Thiel is a big proponent of it. I researched it last year a bit, but never got one. There are quite a few threads on the national boards with a ton of detail about it. maybe something worth checking out.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So this sounds like a question that SantaMonicaHelp might be able to answer, maybe shot him a pm or post up on his turf scrubber thread

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone have a reference that low DO inhibits algae growth. I have always been under the impression that low CO2 and low nutrients will inhibit algae growth and low DO is just a byproduct of decaying algae once the bloom is near its peak.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;312942 said:
Anyone have a reference that low DO inhibits algae growth. I have always been under the impression that low CO2 and low nutrients will inhibit algae growth and low DO is just a byproduct of decaying algae once the bloom is near its peak.
The DO in question is higher, not lower.

The reason I asked initially is beacuse the SIL is an engineer and she was doing a project with river/lake algae. She said that DO was a factor in algal growth. I doubt it will be published since this was govt work.

Last edited by a moderator:

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Hmmmmmm I was actually just researching a daily maintenance dose of H2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) for algae control yesterday. Lol no I dont have any major algae issues I was actually just wanting to reduce film algae so I have to clean my glass less :p

Came across this thread on R2R about using it to control dinoflagellates and it seems to work amazing at knocking it down and destroying it. They also touch on maintenance dosing in this thread too

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ree...gellates-my-experience-h2o2-reefing-tool.html