1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Diy/3d printed union?

Discussion in 'Off-topic For Sale, Trade or Want to Buy' started by Balz3352, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Anyone with a 3d printer want to make me a union for a ub sterilizer I bought?

Shoot me a quote if it would even work

2. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

What brand is the UV Sterilizer? I was going to look and see if there is already a file/plan for it.

3. Balz3352

Older emperor aquatics

4. Balz3352

5. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Is this what you are trying to re-create:

Screenshot 2018-09-15 at 7.11.38 PM.png

6. Balz3352

Yes. They want to cherge me an arm and a leg for shipping and wanted to see it this was possible with 3d printing

7. TheRealChrisBrown

It's under $30 total w/ shipping at Marineandreef: https://www.marineandreef.com/Replacement_Union_with_O_Ring_Emperor_Aquatics_p/rea20630.htm

They have a 1-1/2" version and a 2" version

Designing a union with exact tolerances exceeds my capabilities. If someone had designed one and shared the plans I could give it a try....but I'd be pretty worried about the threads being high enough quality. Doesn't mean others out there can't do it, but I can't. If you wanted a fidget spinner with your name on it, I'm your guy....lol.

whyamisofly, Balz3352 and Lmmchops like this.
  8. Balz3352

Thanks for trying

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  9. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Have you tried just using the unions from home depot or lowes? You only need the part that seals and those are standardized.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

10. Balz3352

Ive tried everything.... Not standard

11. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Ya unions are very dependent on brands. I have several that look almost the same but they dont work together because they are different brands. The size is standard but the threading is unique to each brand, and even when trying to 3d print it, getting the threading right is the real trick. Plumbing companies do this on purpose, so that you have to buy theirs

12. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

This is why you keep the threaded parts and just replace the tailpiece and/or O ring. The tailpieces usually have 2 standard configurations (with and without O ring).

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

reefkoi likes this.