Diy acrylic frag rack

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is my DIY acrylic frag rack. Its pretty much like every other frag rack. This one is a corner rack. It's my first time working with acrylic. I'm making a media basket for my biocube and wanted to practice gluing and cutting first so I made this.

Where I planned on putting the holes.

I know they're not straight. Obviously I didn't follow my template at all.... Oh well. You live and you learn!

In the tank where it's going to go.

Again hidden by my powerhead

Top down.

Next I plan on counter sinking magnets into the acrylic once I get them. Pics when I do that.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Magnets came in. I got epoxy coated but I'm still going to sandwich them in between acrylic to make sure they're completely waterproof. These things are strong for their size! Hopefully they will be strong enough! Trying a couple things to place the magnets.

Holes to counter sink the magnet

With magnet in it

One bit wouldn't work. Hole wasn't deep enough on the edges. Used a wood boring bit this is what I got. Think it will work

With magnet in it

Glued and filled the hole with weld-on 16

Cut the holes/countersink in the rack

One magnet in holding the whole rack up!

Close up of the glue closing the hole to waterproof the rack

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where did you get the magnets? They seem small but I'm sure they will work for frags... I then to do stupid stuff like move colonies around and think - I'll just set it here... ya not a good idea unless I use the super strong barracuda cleaning magnet to hold the rack.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got them from magnet4sale.com

They are 1/2 diameter 1/4 deep. Hold 13lbs according to their specs. They have a bunch of magnets. Cheap prices and quick shipping. I spent 10.80 on 10 magnets plus shipping. I'll update how it holds tomorrow once everything dries.
Debating on making a little side business. I've enjoyed these projects as many headaches I've given myself.