DIY All-In-One tank

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey everyone, I just signed my lease for my first apartment! I have a 75 gallon with 18 gallon fuge in my parent's house right now, and I don't want to have to deal with a bigger tank and the higher electricity bill/resource cost since I'll be on my own. So I've been looking for an AIO tank (like 20 to 40 gallons) and was set on the Innovative marine until I read reviews about them cracking.. I'm also just not a fan of the biocubes.

So I decided I would make my own AIO tank! I'm trying to decide what tank I want to start with and whether I want to have the tank coming out from the wall or going along side it. I will create a false wall in "say a 40 gallon", and use that back space to place all the goodies.

I've been looking around a lot at certain DIY AIO tanks and found a guy who made a Legit 20L (found here http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/nano-reefs/79473-all-one-20l-do-yourself-build.html). I'll be coming up with plans in the next week or so and will keep this thread updated :)

Any advice is appreciated!

EDIT: Now that everything is all said and done, here's a list of things to think about if anyone else wants to diy an aio tank!

-Get your acrylic/glass cut by a well known shop, don't diy! They are so much more precise.
-Make sure your measurements are from the inside of the glass and that you account for the thicknesses of the acrylic when designing the sump area.
-When laying silicon down where the acrylic touches the glass, if you want to get smooth lines (rather than using your finger), tape the the lines. That way you can lay the silicon down and pull the tape up to make a perfect line.
-I would also get the overflow slots cut by a professional acrylic shop, just so it looks great.
-On the other side of the over flow (sump side), I would glue an acrylic tab just below the over flow. So the water comes out (easier to filter) and not just straight down the wall.
-Go slow and let everything dry fully before you add the next group of walls!
-When making your false wall, do NOT make it a really snug fit. Acrylic can expand and if there's no room for that, it can break the glass. So cut it about a mm too small, the silicon will hold it in place.

There's not much to it really, just lots of measurements! I Based my design off of the nuvo tanks and used their plumbing as well. If you have any questions, let me know :).

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright! Been doing some thinking and decided to go with a 40 breeder! I did a rough sketch of my plans for the tank. I'd really appreciate if anyone could chime in on where I could save space or take things out.

The breeder is 36x18x16(h). So the tank will be coming out 3' from the wall. I decided to cut off 12 inches of the tank for my AIO (The entire left 12 inches of the tank from this pic). I'm trying to see if I would be ok cutting that down to 11 inches or even 10. Let me know what you think :)

So I'm going with 3/8" black acrylic as the false wall.

And I'll be using 1/4" flourescent acrylic as the walls in the sump area! (still cant decide on a color)

So here's the layout. Blue is Water flow, where the lines squiggle is where the water will go UNDER. Red is what it stands for (Fi= filter media, Fu= fuge, So=filter sock, h= heater, Sk= skimmer, RP=Return pump, B= Baffle). Yellow shows the distance between the 2 marks. Green is the whole outside of the AIO sump. The dotted green line is a support wall, but water will still be able to flow through it easily.

Here's the original picture in case you want to see.

I'm also trying to figure out what skimmer and return pump would work for my setup, any suggestions?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's Mike & Dave (formerly from Aquamart). Now they're Fluid Designers, and they do custom acrylic fabrication and 'drop in' sump inserts for various standard tank sizes, among other things. So, pretty much exactly what you're looking for. They're a sponsor.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just be careful with the acrylic wall in a glass tank...acrylic does swell a little and has been known to crack sumps when used for baffles.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmmm yeah ill definitely have to talk to fluid design and what they say. If I use acrylic ill make sure to cut it a hair short and use a bit more silicon. I'll let you know what they say tomorrow! I used acrylic walls in my current 29g sump. They've been fine fora year now but I'll consider everything. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, I know that leaving space seems to be the key...I'd assume those that had glass crack wedged the acrylic panels in there too much. The amount of water the acrylic absorbs is pretty minimal...but it's still apparently a factor.

I really like this idea though, definitely following along. Do you plan on building this as inserts that you can drop into the tank? Or are you going to assemble it all within the tank itself? I'm wondering how much of a PITA it might be to get all of those baffles in place when you are working with a limited amount of clearance.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah that's not the best idea lol. You need to at least leave room for silicon to create a seal. I will probably start from the left side and slowly build the angles. All of the acrylic will be permanently bonded while the glass is siliconed. The false wall will most likely be last, that way I do have more room. Getting acrylic this Friday if Fluid Designs thinks it's a go, otherwise I'll see what else I come up with!

In all honesty I'm trying to build this cheap and am not looking to spend $300+ on a AIO tank. The 40 breeder was $30 and the acrylic will be around $60 with a deal I'm getting. :D

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know they don't bond very well, but it's not necessarily a huge tank. I talked with Fluid Designers for about 45 minutes and got the go ahead for the acrylic! (Looking forward to seeing they're whole retail side set up as well :D). I'll Have plenty of support so the wall won't pop out of the silicon. I may add bottom acrylic plates just for added safety, but most likely not. We'll have to see, buying acrylic Friday!

Also I can't decide on an ASM, Reef octopus, or CAD skimmer. Err haha.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

New design since I had a light bulb come on, the skimmer should not be right after the fuge.. So this is what's going to happen! And having the acrylic cut and polished as we speak :D.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is a really sweet idea. I was pondering this concept for the 55 I am getting this week. Following along.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very cool. Are you doing all the acrylic cutting your self, and why did you decide to use a filter sock on one side and filter media on the other?

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone :D.

kmellon;302712 said:
Very cool. Are you doing all the acrylic cutting your self, and why did you decide to use a filter sock on one side and filter media on the other?
The place I bought the acrylic from will actually cut all of your pieces to (perfect) length and polish the edges for you for free! The only thing was cutting the filter sock hole. I didn't have a 3 3/4 inch wholesaw and didn't want to spend 20+ bucks on one so I used a 1in hole drill and an angle grinder haha. There are some marks around the hole but the sock will be covering that. But Im trying to decide if its worth the 20 bucks to get the overflow slots cut or to buy a carbide blade and do it myself. We'll have to see!

So I wanted to sock to filter out all of the crap and the filter media side is where I will put some blue floss and a holder for carbon! I also wanted to leave it like that in case I decide to put a media reactor in there of some kind if I were to need one. And it left more volume in the return pump section for top off.