DIY ceramic Reef Rock

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I am wanting to make my own reef rock out of clay and I remember talking to someone about what I should do to increase porousness and what not. So if anyone has any feedback that would be great.

What I am thinking is ordering this clay: http://www.amazon.com/Amaco-45047J-...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and mixing in wood shavings into the clay to burn out and make the rock porous. http://www.amazon.com/Living-World-...e=UTF8&qid=1460732304&sr=8-5&keywords=sawdust

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've seen some use small/medium salt rocks then Soak it in heated water to dissolve the salt. Don't know if it'll work with this or not.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
For bigger spaces the biodegradeable packing peanuts work

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Why ceramic? Why not make it using aragonite, crushed coral or fine sand, and cement?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;n646032 said:
Why ceramic? Why not make it using aragonite, crushed coral or fine sand, and cement?

Because the cement rock looks like crap and you have to use a mold of some form to make it. With ceramic I can make it exactly how I want.

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;n646010 said:
So I am wanting to make my own reef rock out of clay and I remember talking to someone about what I should do to increase porousness and what not. So if anyone has any feedback that would be great.

What I am thinking is ordering this clay: http://www.amazon.com/Amaco-45047J-H...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and mixing in wood shavings into the clay to burn out and make the rock porous. http://www.amazon.com/Living-World-P...ywords=sawdust

Any thoughts or ideas on this?
So do you have access to a kiln? and the clay you want will need to get to cone 5 (2185 F) Also i wouldnt mix in wood into the clay because once you fire the clay the carbon from the wood will remain and stain the clay black where the wood was

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Why fire that hot? Will not be porous at that temp. You don't want vitrified rock, kinda negates the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;n646098 said:
Why fire that hot? Will not be porous at that temp. You don't want vitrified rock, kinda negates the point.

what do you recommend for temp wise to fire at?

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let's remember that's only a temperature difference of less than 100 f from cone 2 to cone 5. Personally I would want the ceramic color be white (cone10) not yellow from lower cone temps or red

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
More like 350 degrees and bisque porcelain looks pretty white at that temp. And will take coralline algae much faster as well. Also, it will still be capable of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria at cone 02ish but not at 10. Sorry but my masters degree and 20 years experience with al2o32sio2h20 as well as many years of reef aquarium and thousands of experiments with ceramic frag plugs and rock in a marine environment count for something. Yea higher temperature does change the tetrahedral but that doesn't matter in this situation.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool I think I may be following :p But yah color is not a big deal to me. I want to make sure the porousness is right for doing reef rock. So mike, the lower the firing temp, the more bubbly on the inside it will be? Is that kinda the gist? And if that is the case, should I be using a stoneware clay or should I use a different type?

As long as you don't make them out of foam, some guy on Youtube, was actually trying to convince his viewers to make DIY live rock out of insulation foam.

Anyone have success or results with this? Trying to decide between concrete mix or going the ceramic route. I like ceramic in that I can form them to my exact shapes. Any help much appreciated.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you do ceramic, make sure you make crap tons of holes so it does not explode like mine did :p Mike recommended mixing in Cheerios and other things that would burn out to make it more porous,