DIY LED Biocube retro

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys, told you I'd do a build thread of my LED build. Anyway, let me start from the beginning with the research that I did.

I first got my Biocube about a week before Thanksgiving 2011. The tank was only up for about 2 weeks when I started looking at lighting upgrades. I knew that I really wanted a clam, and possibly some SPS. The big debate I was having with myself is the fact that my tank has almost always run hot. This meant that I couldn't go with a MH conversion, or the conversions that add 1-2 more of the stock PC bulbs as both of these would almost necesitate a chiller. So I started looking at LEDs. Holy cow, there are a lot of options when you start digging into things. I read almost every DIY LED build over on nano-reef.com as a lot of those guys were putting them into the Biocubes the same way I wanted to.

Then I went over to Kris's house, kalgra, and saw his AI SOL Nano on his JBJ. Man that looked nice so I started looking into those. I thought this was the way I was going to go. Got Kris to send me a few pictures, showed them to the wife and she said, "That's ugly. You can't do that." DANGIT. Would have been so much easier, but she likes the way the BC looks with the hood on it. This left me with no choice but to do a DIY.

Now to choose to do a kit, of make my own. There are a lot of really good kits out there, a few off the top of my head:

www.rapidled.com
www.stevesleds.com
www.aquastyleonline.com

I was really leaning towards the AquaStyle kit as I didn't really want to spend over 2x the price for CREEs. There is a great thread on Nano-Reef of people ordering these kits and the end results. I tried emailing the guy several times and couldn't get a response. This left me with a CREE kit of piecing my own together.

It was then that I found www.ledgroupbuy.com. I mainly found them from Milad who frequents Nano-Reef. I started looking at all the options that he had and the different products. It was then that I decided I wanted to build my own from scratch. I started talking to Milad a lot through PM. I couldn’t have been happier with his communication. Even though I was just asking questions his was quick to respond and thurough in his explinations. Never once did he complain about all the questions I was asking. Through reading of another thread I saw that he recommended the following numbers and colors for a 29g BioCube:

18 Royal Blue
12 Neutral White
6 True Violet
4 Deep Red
4 Turquoise

I wanted to make sure that this wouldn’t be too much, and he assured me that if they could all be dimmed then it wouldn’t be a problem and that the color would be amazing.
So with that decided I started ordering parts. My first order from www.ledgroupbuy.com was for all my LEDs. Took a bit longer, which I knew it would, since they had to get the Royal Blue and White with 120 degree optics. I also ordered a 7.29”x14” heatsink from www.heatsinkusa.com. This was shipped fast and looked great. Also ordered was a Noctua 120mm variable speed fan. I saw this used on another build and liked it. This will be my fan for bringing air into the hood and onto the heatsink. I also ordered a silentX fan from newegg to be my exhaust fan. Both fans are extremely quiet and should be a nice improvement from the stock fans.

Now I had to figure out how I wanted to control these lights. I really wanted to go with a full system controller, but they are all just a bit too expensive to do on top of this build. This left the BoostLED Typhoon and the LEDGroupBuy DIM4 as my options. I really thought that I was going to go with the Typhoon. Everything looked good, but when I went to order they were almost 3 weeks out. Well that sucks. So I went back to the DIM4 and again, asked Milad a lot of questions. The biggest advantage to the DIM4 is the 2 relay spots. You can plug your fans into these spots and your fan will let your LEDs go completely dark, but it will also run your fan as long as the channel has power. This helps to ease my worry about the fans running either too much or not enough. If the LED’s are on, the fans are on.

With the controller decision made I could order my drivers. The DIM4 requires the “D” series of Meanwell drivers. I found a sit online, who I’m not going to name, that had amazing prices. Actually KhensuRa may have pointed them out. Online it didn’t show that they had the drivers I needed, 3 ELN-60-48D and 2 ELN-60-27D. I emailed them and they said they would have them in on 3/7 and would ship same day. Awesome, put in my order. On 3/15 I asked if they had shipped and got a response that they were still 2 weeks out. DANG IT AGAIN. Well, cancel that order. I then went back to Milad and order 3 40w Inventronics drivers and 2 20w. These are really nice as they don’t require an external power source. Basically the one power plug for the DIM4 will power all my lights. These should be here on 3/22.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyway, enough talking. Here are some of the pics I've taken so far.

First order of LEDs and heatsink.

Layout proposal, dimes are moonlights.

Then I had to figure out how to arand the colors.

Chad, CRW Reefer, was then kind enough to put my chicken scratch into CAD and come up with the measurements for me.

I then transfered those onto the heatsink.

Before any LEDs could go on I had to do the cutouts for the fans. You can see in the bottom corners on the picture that I took just a little from each corner. This will give me the clearance needed for the 60mm silentX fan. I went ahead and did the other side too so I could add another fan if needed.

Here are the RB and NW layed out.

Here are all the colors layed out and put down with the thermal adhesive.

Before I attached them to the heatsink I tried to plan out how I would wire them so everything would lay out nice. A few rotated, but overall it turned out real nice. Here are the 2 strings of RB wired.

Whites wired.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Deep Red and Turquiose wired. These are going to be on the same controller.

True Violet wired.

Now I have to get my moonlights added. Need to decide if I want to just stick with the original 3 moonlights, or add 1-2 more.

This is where I'm at. Hope to tackle the moonlights tonight. If the drivers show up tomorrow I'll start wiring them in the stand along with the DIM4. I bought a 24 slot molex connector to connect everything. This will allow me to remove the hood and do other work if necessary. Also will allow movement of the tank without having to leave the hood in the stand. My fan wires will also be run through this connector.

Let me know what you guys think.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good! Milad was awesome with me as well. He answered all my questions and was great to deal with.

I look forward to seeing this in action! I am getting the rest of my order tomorrow to start mine.

I'm curious why you didnt drill the heatsink. Do you trust the adhesive enough to hold each and every led in place?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This build is sick!!! Love how you did the led's. Excited to see them lit up...

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kris, I didn't drill the heatsink as I've seen a lot of builds done this way. I would say probably 80%+ on Nano-Reef are done this way. The thermal adhesive should have no problem holding the LED. Guess if it ever became an issue I could always redo it.

Khensu, I can't wait either. Hopefully that'll happen Friday.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you guys think I should get PAR readings for the stock lights, then again for the LEDs?

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gotta say drew, this is turning out great. I love how all the hard work and research is turning into this awesomeness of a build.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea wouldnt be a bad idea so you can know where you started at and see where they wind up.

I am keeping an eye on this too, cant wait to see it over the tank, I am going to do a DIY for my 90 at some point lol

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys. I'm working on borrowing a PAR meter from lpsouth. I'll have many more updates this weekend. Hope to have this done by Sunday.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just took the PAR readings for my stock lighting. Wow, a whole lot lower than I thought it would be. If I can't beat those numbers with my LEDs, then I'm quitting. Lol

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol. I'll post all that when I get the new readings too. Might take a bit longer than I thought, there's a lot of wiring going on.

Drew

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
How's the build going? It sounded like you were nearly done with it when we talked earlier. Looking forward to seeing those before and after PAR readings.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wish. It took me most of yesterday and today to figure out the correct function of the DIM4. I did get all the drivers ready to wire in to the hood and the DIM4. Tomorrow night will get it all done. Here's a pic of the wire mess.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I really need to stop saying this will get done. Was a productive night, but not done yet. I did get the drivers and DIM4 mounted in the stand. Got the hole cut for the 120mm fan. Didn't turn out perfect, but that's what I get for doing it after my daughter went to bed at 9.

I know you guys want pics, so here's one.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, finished the build. Will have to do all the pictures and everything tomorrow night. All I can say is it looks awesome and I can't wait to acclimate the corals. I did a quick PAR reading and without any adjustments to the number, it went up 15 points middle bottom. That's with the colors at the following:

RB - 30%
NW - 20%
DR & T - 25% (I think)
TV - 40%

Got plenty of room to go up. Will get readings tomorrow with everything at 100% then post both numbers and all the pics.

Drew