DIY MH Ballast

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone here make their own ballasts? Years ago when I had my 180g set up, I ran my own DIY ballasts similar to these - https://lbu-main-lightbulbu.netdna-...75_watt_metal_halide_ballast_kit_quad_tap.jpg

The problem is that my brain has not retained the information necessary to build them from scratch. It's hard to pass up $35 ballasts when made yourself, other than paying $100+ for a big heat sink with a brand name on it.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I built my own to replace the old PFO 400w HQI that is no longer made. I'm no expert though. In fact I have a hole bunch of cores igniters and caps to build several more. let me know if you are interested. The parts I have are designed to overdrive a 400W radium however.

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I shouldn't have any reason to overdrive a 400w - just looking to power a couple 400w with standard voltage.

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Open to discussion at this time. I have been out of the hobby since 2010, so I'm not sure if the same manufactures are still in business.

After talking with you the other night about radiums though, I would prefer to have the 20k look as opposed to the new bulbs "whiteish" look.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you don't build your own, just call Hamilton. The are a great company who will get it right - M59 is the spec ballast for 400W Radium.