DIY Violet/Red LED Setup. Help me build it!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
First of all I know nothing about DIY LED setups so I probably need to be walked through this whole thing. I want to add violet and red LED’s to my current setup. Right now I have 3 AI SOL Blues hung sideways about 12”AWL. I want to place the v/r (violets/reds) in between my 3 current fixtures. Here is a pic of what I have now.

I want this to looks as clean and professional as possible, don’t think the wife will dig the whole Mcguyver look. I was hoping to make a PAR38 type bulb/fixture but it seems this is not a DIY project, we are stuck with what the PAR38 manufacturers make (and I have yet to see a violet/red PAR38 combo).

So with that being said, I need some help designing this whole thing as I have no clue what I am doing or where to start. I would like the ability to dim them if possible and control that through my Neptune Apex. As far as budget, I would like to stay under $400 total (under $200 would be better though!) How many LED’s should I get? Optics? Heatsinks? Dimming stuff? Is RapidLED a good place to buy the LED's and other stuff? Sorry, I have no clue about any of this stuff. If any of you actually want to physically help me build this let me know, im sure we can work something out for your time.

Thanks,
Kris

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is going to be a cool build, optics are going to be a must with this build, I would say 60 degree. As for the heat sinks you might want to use and take a look are the ones rapid sells as they are the cleanest and have a splash guard, I think they will best match the look of your AI's. The driver you should try is going to be the meanwell ELN-6048p and well be able to power 14 leds, which I think will be just enough to add the color you want and driver will work with your controller.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Virgil do you think 60 degree optics will give enough spread with the fixtures placed between the AI SOLS and 12AWL or do you think I will get too much spillage with 80 degree? Not looking for punch or intensity as much as I am accent and I think 2 fixtures over 6ft might need more spread? You thinking this one for heatsink?
http://www.rapidled.com/drilled-tapped-6-x-9-black-anodized-aluminum-heat-sink/
So how many LED's total you think? The 6x9 can run 24 total, is that overkill?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would do two heat sinks seven leds on each side. You might have to get a couple different optics and you are right 90 degree might be a little better.

I'll sit and think on it some more. Wish I knew how to draw the build up in a CAD program, that would be perfect.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is what I am thinking. 2 fixtures. 24 LED's each.
16 True Violet 420nm, 4 Deep Red 660nm, 4 Turquoise 495nm per fixture
I can get all the LED's with 120 degree optics (should be perfect for spreading 2 fixtures over 6ft)
All LED's from ledgroupbuy.com

Now on the LED's page it says:
Best driver to use for these (6-14 LEDs) is a 40w 700mA Inventroincs driver tuned down to about 500ma using a POT.

This is all greek to me.

Can I just use the meanwell drivers for them?

Can I use 1 driver across 2 fixtures without issue or limitation? I was thinking about making a "breakaway" type cable to connect the 2 if possible.

I just want one driver for the turquoise, 1 for the reds and will probably need 2-3 for the violets. It just doesn't seem cost effective to have 1 red driver per fixture, 1 turquoise and 1-2 violet drivers for each fixture.

I do like the rapidled heatsinks and would like to use those, with the meanwell drivers if possible.

Heatsink/fan/hanging kit/splash guard - $53 (x2) - $106
Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver - $34(x5) - $170

Thoughts?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can use the meanwell's, but you will have to adjust the current from the Meanwell
to a suitable current because I believe they can output 1.2A which will blow your LED's
quickly. With the Meanwell driver you will have to provide a 0-10VDC signal to dim
the LED's. The Inventronics only needs a pot to dim the LED's (much easier to setup).
I've heard good things about the Inventronics. I hear they are the same as Thomas Research Products driver
which are pretty solid drivers from anecdotal evidence. If I were you, I'd go with the
Inventronics. It will be safer for your LED's (if you're a novice) and requires no technical
knowledge to dim them. :)

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I found a better source for the meanwells, once I log on with my computer later I'll post the link. The 48Ds are like $23 each.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
http://www.bravoelectro.com/

Takes a bit of searching. If they don't list the "48D", just email them. I was told they have the 48Ds in stock and ready to ship. Just don't order for a day or so, that way mine ship. :)

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keeping an eye on this thread as I am thinking about doing a DIY entire LED housing.
Also thinking the Rapid LED heatsinks, as well as a few other colors than the standard blue white

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Look for my build in the next couple weeks. I'm doing Royal Blue, Natural White, Deep Red, True Violet and Turquoise. Once I get everything in I'll create a build thread.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;146995 said:
You can use the meanwell's, but you will have to adjust the current from the Meanwell
to a suitable current because I believe they can output 1.2A which will blow your LED's
quickly. With the Meanwell driver you will have to provide a 0-10VDC signal to dim
the LED's. The Inventronics only needs a pot to dim the LED's (much easier to setup).
I've heard good things about the Inventronics. I hear they are the same as Thomas Research Products driver
which are pretty solid drivers from anecdotal evidence. If I were you, I'd go with the
Inventronics. It will be safer for your LED's (if you're a novice) and requires no technical
knowledge to dim them. :)
Thanks for the info Gale! I never heard of inventronics but I have heard of meanwell. I will inventronics a bit more. I like noob stuff, less chance of error on my part!
ailachami;147097 said:
FYI red LEDs from rapidled doesn't come with optics.
Yeah I noticed that. I will be getting all my reds from ledgroupbuy as of now.
cdrewferd;147110 said:
Look for my build in the next couple weeks. I'm doing Royal Blue, Natural White, Deep Red, True Violet and Turquoise. Once I get everything in I'll create a build thread.
Look forward to it!

So can I use one driver beteween 2 fixtures without issue?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kris the led's you are looking at powering need to be run at a lower mA's,700mA max, recommended is 500mA. So instead of getting a meanwell and adjusting the internal pot, as Gale said the inventronics might be the better driver. Either this driver or this driver, since you are going to be running a ton of the UV's.

I might be able to stop by tonight so we can draw out a good plan.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for coming over last night Virgil. Time to get the shopping list going.

Turquoise - 495nm
Optic Angle: 60°
Quantity: 8
Driver: Inventronics 40w driver - 700mA

Deep Red - 660nm
Quantity: 8
Driver: Inventronics 40w driver - 700mA

True Violet LED - 420nm
Quantity: 30
Driver: Inventronics 40w driver - 700mA (X2)

Drilled/tapped 6" x 9" Black Anodized Aluminum Heat Sink with Y-shaped Hanging Kit, 92mm Stealth Fan and Splash Guard (x2)

AC Plug for Drivers - 3 Prong (x4)

What else am I missing Virgil? Do I need to get Thermal Tape Preform 20mm Stars? Any POTS?

So I know we decided to go a total of 8 reds and 8 turquoise for spread (since the lights are 12"AWL) more so than punch however, reading this on the driver specs:
Dimmable: 0-10v - Dimming range:10-100%
Does that mean that the minimum intensity is 10%? If thats the case maybe we should only do 4 total of the reds/turquoises. Thoughts?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im excited for this build. I really think it is going to work out super nice.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't wait. I'm also starting my build as soon as I can decide on a layout.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't forget the pots, I'm super happy with the inventronics drive .no external power source to drive the pot what a concept lol . Makes everything easy