DIY Violet/Red LED Setup. Help me build it!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks nice. Also looks about the same as my dinning room table when I was working. lol

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does Friday evening work for you? That's the earliest I'm available.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kinda sorta. The dimming is odd. When the ramp down gets below a certain point it stops and then when the ramp down hits 0 the lights still stay on. Everything else is wired up though, just need to hang them still and figure out the whole dimming thing. I hope to have them hung somepoint this week.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kris,
I don't think you can dim below 10%.
If you want to get down to zero, you'll have to remove the power to the driver.
I don't know how AI does it. It must be their own driver design that allows it to dim so low.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just FYI, the Inventronics drivers won't go to full off. They will only dim down to about 10%. Only way to get them to go full off is to kill the power they are getting.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats kind of what I thought. It looks like I will have to put the drivers individually on my Neptune power strip since I want them to shut off at different times.

I did have them temporary hung up over the weekend though and honestly, not impressed. It is truly amazing just how powerful the AI's are, I only have 3 over my 125 and they completely mask these fixtures colors. Either that or my vision just sucks. The true test will be the difference (if any) in coral coloration.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How high did you have them turned? At 100%, or even probably 75%, you should be able to see the difference.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not really. I had them at 100% at first, not much difference. They are set not to go higher than 70% with the Neptune per the recommendation on ledgroupbuy. I might just need to sit with them on a few days to see any difference. My AI's just make them look like they are not even there....

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok I lied. I have them mounted now and me likeee!!!! Holy light batman, im blind!!!!!!!!!

First observation. The aquarium seems to have a richness to it now. Its not as "cold" looking as before. My flame angel looks like its on fire now. The corals don't look much different but interestingly enough the fish seem to have more pop to them. More info to come as I get these going full time.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good to hear.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Man I did a good job! You should write songs about me.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bet in a few weeks you start to see coral color change.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keep us posted on the color changes, I was going to emulate this setup....if you're not happy with it though, I might not. Do you have a par meter to compare numbers?

Don't know how the drivers do with the Apex stuff, but with the RA you gotta get the (meanwell) P series (as opposed to the D series) Unless you get the other RA. Something about PWM/analog signals.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chris what you might think of doing is grab your camera and tripod and tank a few different pics of different corals and write down all your settings. That way you can reset up the tripod every few days or once a week and be able to see and document any color/growth difference.