DIY Zeroedge Aquarium

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
Been playing with saltwater aquariums for over a year now and got hooked. First tank was a 14 gal BioCube which served me well for a while. Then i saw a Zeroedge and decided that was the direction i wanted to go. Once i saw the price tag I knew i couldn't afford one so i thought i would try my hand at making one. Ive always been great with my hands and i read a lot of bad reviews about their limitations so i figured i could (hopefully) improve upon them. I know fish are tricky in the tanks so I'm still working on that but flow was another big issue. Any surface agitation leads to ripples on the walls so i decided to use a variety of locline to get good flow for SPS and disperse the high volume needed to create the overflow effect. Anyway here's some pictures.

J

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't wait to see this done.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great project! I'll be following along.

Welcome to the club too btw. :)

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
Tray done, sanding edges and polishing. Acrylic is 1/2 in. and sands just like wood but a lot of work to get it polished clear. 80 grit all the way up to 3000 grit with novus 2 polish and buffing wheel.

I've always loved the concept and look of the zeroedge tanks. I've researched a couple different DIY threads on the various forums a while back and one thing to keep in mind if you didn't already know is to make sure the tank is really level so that the water flows over the sides evenly so you can see through the sides of the tank. Good luck:)

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
Polished and start of stand to hold the little guy. My old man helped with the woodwork, one day ill have all the tools i need for this stuff.

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
Here's the rough plumbing and ugly glued sump, works better than i thought. The little computer looking box is an STC-1000 temp controller ($20 on ebay). The water breaks at the edges in this pic, it was my test run and i had to sand the corners more to make it flow evenly over them. Ill get more pictures later with the water running smoothly over all the corners, a really cool look.

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
Drew: Get you some finished pics soon.

Boogie: Thanks, glad to be here this site is awesome.

Jamesam: Leveling is a pain, def learned that one the hard way.

bruby

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
looks good. I have a zero edge and am going to break it down soon so I can make some changes to the design. I am going to add a black acrylic wall to the back that will prevent overflow over the back. I am doing this for two reasons, first of all cleaning the back wall is a major PIA and secondly so I can have someplace to put powerheads for more flow. One of the major problems I have had is nuisance buildup in low flow areas.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow sweet tank for sure, great job!!!!!! You are one risk taking individual going with check valve required system. Hoping you already plan to, bu I would plan to rinse every few weeks and replace annually that check valve. Be terrible terrible day if it sticks open during a power failure and drains the entire DT.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jbanman14

Cleaner Shrimp
I'm not 100% on the rock work, i like the right side but the left seems like just a clump of rock; maybe it'll look better when i place all the corals and they can grow into it. The LED's are(8500/1400 white, 450/465 blue, UV and 1 red) from aquastyle, were on my other tank and grew everything great with amazing color. Then my sump in action and my DIY auto top off and $7 trashcan RODI storage. Lastly some of the corals I'm taking to the frag swap, okay pictures but much better in person.