dKh

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I just ran a full test with my new red sea test kits ( my old chems were expired and I didn't trust the results) so now that I have trustworthy results, I'm happy to report that for the first time in my reefing career my phosphates are at .01 and my nitrates are almost undetectable!
With the kalk stirrer mishaps, my other chemistry had unfortunately been swinging pretty bad. Now that I have reliable data, and have decided to stick to 2 part for the time being, I need to know what to do and was hoping I could get some insite as to a starting point with my water volume:
Water volume = 400 total gallons
Calcium = (greater than) 500ppm
Alkalinity = 1.9 meq/L or 5.3 dKh
Magnesium = 1400ppm

I need a good starting point to raise dKh.
I'm using baked baking soda dissolved in ro water. I used the Randy Holmes recipe. It appears I need to dose alk for a while to bring my chemistry back into place, but im not sure how much our for how long... any suggestions?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jack, BRS has a reef calculator that should get you pretty close to how much extra to add per day. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator Are you using dosing pumps for your two part? If your recipe ( know nothing about the Randy Holmes recipe ) is close to regular soda ash, the calculator should guide to how much total solution you need to add, then just figure out how many days you want to take to bring it up. I did a quick calculation just to get you to 8 dKh, and its going to be substantial for your system. I would try to do it over a couple week span, but I think you can do it faster just cant remember how fast.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;314034 said:
Jack, BRS has a reef calculator that should get you pretty close to how much extra to add per day. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator Are you using dosing pumps for your two part? If your recipe ( know nothing about the Randy Holmes recipe ) is close to regular soda ash, the calculator should guide to how much total solution you need to add, then just figure out how many days you want to take to bring it up. I did a quick calculation just to get you to 8 dKh, and its going to be substantial for your system. I would try to do it over a couple week span, but I think you can do it faster just cant remember how fast.
Yeah that's where I was at. I just didn't know how much to add per day. I'm going to dose by hand cause I'm really not trusting my reef keeper, and I don't have dosing pumps yet I just added 200ml to the track and im waiting to see if it has any impact on my pH. I might test again and see if it impacted my alk any.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dose enough to raise alk by no more than 0.5 dkH per day in at least 2 doses (the more doses the better). I woyud expect it to actually raise by about 80% of what it "should" due to precipitatiob from the high Ca. keep an eye on mag as you should see a bit of precipitation of both calcium and mag since you are adding only dkH. Like the dr said, your pH will follow your dkH, so dont worry about that right now.

Btw, you can do a high range Ca test with the red sea by using 2.5 ml of tabk water with 2.5 ml of rodi. Multiply the concentration that it gives you by 2 for the actual concentration.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;314043 said:
Btw, you can do a high range Ca test with the red sea by using 2.5 ml of tabk water with 2.5 ml of rodi. Multiply the concentration that it gives you by 2 for the actual concentration.
I did not know that! Thank you!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haulin Oates;314044 said:
I did not know that! Thank you!
no problem. that trick also works on any other test that reads in a linear scale like ppm for just about any test kit on the market.