Do you dip?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Everything gets dipped. Corals get dipped and scrubbed, then dipped again. Fish get a freshwater dip too, before going in the tank

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Everything got dipped, and still had zoa-eating nudis because dipping didn't kill the eggs. Dipping + QT with nighttime voyeurism and close daytime spying is the way to go. Yes, lots of work, but worth every minute when you catch a piece of nastiness before it goes in your display.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Coral RX smells better than revive....that stuff smells like pinesol. Not sure if it works any better, but all coral get dipped here!

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;n642393 said:
1:04 to 1:18 cracks me up!

And yes, you should always dip!

I dont know, he makes a good point. Most types of corals we put in our tanks do not have diseases or parasites that we see. Acans, Scolly, etc.

The two common ones we see are Zoa and Acro's. Those I would still dip, but the others? not so sure about.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have to wonder how effective we are at removing pests though. Take Zoa eating nudibranch. Many methods of dealing with them, some of them very harmful to the coral (I wonder how many we kill due to dipping that were not infected?). Right now the best method seems to be FWE but how many different dips are we doing to the coral for every type of nussiance? Plus even FWE does not kill the eggs, so unless you are scrubbing and visually inspecting each frag very very closely...did we really do anything?

I usually dip everything in Coral RX... but starting to wonder if it really does any good. Over 6 years and I have never had an issue. Not sure if I am lucky or what.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
After battling Acro eating flat worms........I started to dip everything dip rinse drop in tank. I have only lost one core since I started doing it this way years ago. But I see what your saying, is it really worth it?

rjl45

Clown Fish
I have always done a mandatory dip in coral Rx. Then last month I picked up a frag at the show and, let's just say this was the most infected frag I have ever bought. First dip dropped so many suspicious critters in 5 minutes, I started a fresh batch to continue dipping in. Needless to say, I quickly set up a qt and it has been there since. Been dipping 2 times per week, to catch any egg hatches, and also alternating between Bayer and coral rx. This frag is staying in qt until nothing suspicious drops in the dip for over 7 days.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So how many of you are doing a dip in Coral rx, then a dip in Bayer, then rinse and put in tank, versus just using coral rx, revive, etc without bayer?

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mix my dips. Revive, bayer, coral rx, and reef dip all together. Chad (CRW Reef) wrote but a guide a while back for what he does.
Seems pretty harsh, but I have never noticed any ill effects on any corals I have dipped.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
CRW Reef;476677 said:
Well here is how I dip :p

I use the following products all mixed together when I dip coral (do not use this mixture on deep water or smooth skinned acros):p yes I know.....no need to say it

Bayer Advanced - Complete Insect Killer - [video]http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100658964?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&N=5yc1vZbx4wZ3pp&R=100658964[/video]
Two Little Fishies - ReVive Coral Cleaner -
[video]http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/two-little-fishies-revive-coral-cleaner-1.html[/video]l
Seachem - Reef Dip -
[video]http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ReefDip.html[/video]
Reef Pest Solutions - RPS All Out - [video]http://www.reefpestsolutions.com/#!rps-all-out/ctb5[/video]

Steps Taken:

1. INSPECT FRAG FOR PESTS - VISUAL INSPECTION IS KEY!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Use tweezers or scalpel or whatever to remove any easily visible pests
  3. Start with 1 cup of water (using water from bag that coral came in)
  4. Add syringe with 5 mls of Bayer Advanced
  5. Add syringe with 5 mls of ReVive
  6. Add syringe with 5 mls of RPS All Out
  7. Add syringe with 2.5 mls of Reef Dip
  8. Stir Water
  9. Add corals (do not use this mixture on deep water or smooth skinned acros)
  10. Allow zoas to sit for 5-15 mins (10 mins is my average)
  11. Remove coral rinsing and swishing upside down as you remove (shaking all detritus build up and other now dead things off)
  12. Soak in separate container - 1 cup of tank water
  13. Soak 5 mins
  14. Remove coral rinsing and swishing upside down as you remove (hoping to shake off any residual detritus build up and other now dead things)
  15. Soak in separate container (yes a second container) - 1 cup of tank water
  16. Soak 5 mins
  17. Remove coral rinsing and swishing upside down as you remove (hoping to shake off any residual detritus build up and other now dead things)
  18. Soak in separate container (yes a third container) - 1 cup of tank water
  19. Soak 5 mins
  20. Remove coral rinsing and swishing upside down as you remove (hoping to shake off any residual detritus build up and other now dead things)
  21. RE-INSPECT FRAG FOR PESTS - VISUAL INSPECTION IS KEY!!!!!!!!!!
  22. Place coral in qt (quarantine) or dt (display tank) and enjoy :p

* Disclaimer - Do not use this mixture on deep water or smooth skinned acros. i would only use ReVive and Reef Dip on these !!!!!!

Again this is just how I do it and may not be for everyone. I seem to some how acquire several frags monthly from several different sources and no matter who it is I ALWAYS DIP NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Do the Dip?
http://www.marinecolorado.org/showthread.php?t=35425

Last edited by a moderator:

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
So what you're saying is that people don't need to spend any time visually inspecting the corals. Just dip absolutely everything in that chemical concoction 3 times, rinsing in freshwater in between.

:rofl: