1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Do you dip?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by TheRealChrisBrown, Mar 21, 2016.

1. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Come on, just one flatworm.....

2. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Every new coral that comes in get a revive dip!

3. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Everyone should dip.

4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Everything gets dipped. Corals get dipped and scrubbed, then dipped again. Fish get a freshwater dip too, before going in the tank

5. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Everything gets dipped. Probably going to qt everything once I get basement set up

6. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

Everything got dipped, and still had zoa-eating nudis because dipping didn't kill the eggs. Dipping + QT with nighttime voyeurism and close daytime spying is the way to go. Yes, lots of work, but worth every minute when you catch a piece of nastiness before it goes in your display.

7. that0neguy1126

that0neguy1126 Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

8. Legonch

Legonch Freak Nasty Funk M.A.S.C Club Member

Coral RX smells better than revive....that stuff smells like pinesol. Not sure if it works any better, but all coral get dipped here!

9. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Bayer for everything. I don't do zoas really but when I do I have read medical grade iodine is the way to go.

10. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

1:04 to 1:18 cracks me up!

And yes, you should always dip!

11. that0neguy1126

I dont know, he makes a good point. Most types of corals we put in our tanks do not have diseases or parasites that we see. Acans, Scolly, etc.

The two common ones we see are Zoa and Acro's. Those I would still dip, but the others? not so sure about.

12. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

But if they come from an infected tank just so happened to be attached to that coral while searching for a zoa or acro etcetera. Im personally not going to risk it

13. MartinsReef

MartinsReef Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

I do not acclimate but I do dip every thing in Coral RX.

14. that0neguy1126

I have to wonder how effective we are at removing pests though. Take Zoa eating nudibranch. Many methods of dealing with them, some of them very harmful to the coral (I wonder how many we kill due to dipping that were not infected?). Right now the best method seems to be FWE but how many different dips are we doing to the coral for every type of nussiance? Plus even FWE does not kill the eggs, so unless you are scrubbing and visually inspecting each frag very very closely...did we really do anything?

I usually dip everything in Coral RX... but starting to wonder if it really does any good. Over 6 years and I have never had an issue. Not sure if I am lucky or what.

15. MartinsReef

MartinsReef Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

After battling Acro eating flat worms........I started to dip everything dip rinse drop in tank. I have only lost one core since I started doing it this way years ago. But I see what your saying, is it really worth it?

16. rjl45

rjl45 Copepod

I have always done a mandatory dip in coral Rx. Then last month I picked up a frag at the show and, let's just say this was the most infected frag I have ever bought. First dip dropped so many suspicious critters in 5 minutes, I started a fresh batch to continue dipping in. Needless to say, I quickly set up a qt and it has been there since. Been dipping 2 times per week, to catch any egg hatches, and also alternating between Bayer and coral rx. This frag is staying in qt until nothing suspicious drops in the dip for over 7 days.

17. Legonch

Legonch Freak Nasty Funk M.A.S.C Club Member

So how many of you are doing a dip in Coral rx, then a dip in Bayer, then rinse and put in tank, versus just using coral rx, revive, etc without bayer?

18. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I mix my dips. Revive, bayer, coral rx, and reef dip all together. Chad (CRW Reef) wrote but a guide a while back for what he does.
    Seems pretty harsh, but I have never noticed any ill effects on any corals I have dipped.

19. CRW Reef

CRW Reef Orca Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Do the Dip?
    http://www.marinecolorado.org/showthread.php?t=35425

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  20. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

So what you're saying is that people don't need to spend any time visually inspecting the corals. Just dip absolutely everything in that chemical concoction 3 times, rinsing in freshwater in between.

:rofl: