Do you dose or just do water changes poll

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So I only do a 5 gallon water change every 3-4 days with 2 tsp of kalk a week. No other additional dosing. How about the rest of you?

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just been doing water changes...though not enough for my volume. :( I'm paying for it too I think. I'm too lazy to start researching right now. How do you figure out how much kalk or what not to dose per the water volume? I'd like to start adding kalk to my top off RO water....just don't know at what dose.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's all I do most of the time is dose kalk, it's easter then doing water changes. But i have been doing them more often in the cube cause its still young!

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
15 % water changes every 7-10 days seems to keep everyone happy for me though I only have a 14 and a 12 gallon tanks so water changes aren't too bad. I've got mostly LPS and a few sps.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
5 to 10 gallon water change per week and 150 ml of (brs) alk and calcium per day. If I don't my alk drops almost 2 dkh per day. (120 sps dominant, mature corals)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Both.

Weekly water changes of 20% is pretty much the norm when I start a new tank, and that wasn't enough to keep my alk within range with sps in the tank. I now do 15% weekly changes and run an autodoser...I prefer weekly changes to keep nutrients in check in my small tank.

Evan, this calculator should help if you haven't tried it yet.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

If you can go a couple days without kalk in your top off...just measure your alk and Ca levels, figure out how much the tank is consuming, then plug in the numbers to figure out how much kalk you should be adding. You can also keep adding kalk, figure out how much that should effect the levels, and still do the math....just a bit more complicated to calculate.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Both tanks get a 10% water change every Sunday. 30 gets 30ml of alk, 30ml of magnesium on water change day. And daily both tanks get po4x and red sea a and b. 90 gets 50ml of alk a day and 90ml of magnesium on water change day. I dose essential elements every 2 weeks.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Right now I'm only dosing: calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, and fuel/phyto. I "should" be doing both just haven't had time to do a water change in a while.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
brs cal, alk on 5ml dosing pumps, and mag manually. I try not to let my alk swing but just a little bit. but my display is sps and euphyllia only. my frag tank is done manually but I have it down to daily dosing.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do about a 15% water change every two weeks and dose a gallon of fully saturated Kalk water each night. I have cut back on the Kalk because I noticed my Calcium had crept up to 500 over the last few months.

I do a water change about every two weeks or three. I run a calcium reactor that keeps everything in check, I dose mag when it gets low.

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 22g AIO with no skimmer currently - Softies,Zoas and LPS, 2 Black Ocellaris & 1 Flame Hawk - I do a 5g water change every week on Sunday using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. I dose 5ml (1 cap) of Brightwells A&B ( Calcium/Alk) every other day. Occasionally I'll dose B-Ionic Mag if I can't keep my levels to a satisfactory level.

If I skip a water change or extend it out a few days, I always pay for it so I'm pretty diligent. I've used Kalk before but its such a dirty process in an AIO so manual dosing is better for me + water changes :)))

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Calc reactor and weekly 15% water change(45 gallon).

It all depends on the load in your system. The lighter the load, the less additives you need.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I love to hear when people say "I dont dose or check parameters I can just tell what they need" LOL, A wise man told me "if you aint dosing, you aint growing...."

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SAZAMA;180321 said:
I love to hear when people say "I dont dose or check parameters I can just tell what they need" LOL, A wise man told me "if you aint dosing, you aint growing...."
Hmmmmm isn't changing water enough to keep params normal/par the same as dosing? I wise man once told me" what guy or thing have you seen testing ocean water, putting plastic pellets in reefs and dumping giant buckets of chemicals in the water?"

Lol well I must be the exception to the rule of that" no dosing, no growing" because I have a ton of growth and happy corals.

But I guess in the end, the old wise man's saying of "what works for me may not work for you" trumps all

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;180322 said:
Hmmmmm isn't changing water enough to keep params normal/par the same as dosing?
Not even close. Ive said it before and I will say it again, there is not a salt in the world that can keep up with a growing reef.

Lets be real conservative here. Lets say your alk consumption is only 1/4 of a point per day. That is a 1.75dKH drop per week. Lets say you have a 100 gallon system. Lets say your alk is 9 at the beginning of the week, by the end of the week your alk will be 7.25. Lets say your salt is 10dKH. A 50% water change will only bring your alk back up to 8.6.

Keep in mind a 1/4 is LOW. The average growing mixed reef consumes 1-2dKH PER DAY.

CRW Reef;180322 said:
I wise man once told me" what guy or thing have you seen testing ocean water, putting plastic pellets in reefs and dumping giant buckets of chemical in the water?"
Your wise man is a fool. The ocean is one of the most stable environments in the world. Trying to recreate that environment requires care and attention, including testing the water to adjust when necessary. In regards to dumping buckets of chemicals in the water; it is a known fact that stony corals require bicarbonate (alkalinity) and calcium carbonate to build their skeletons (I am grossly oversimplifying this). During this process magnesium (along with other elements) are removed from the water column. In order for the coral to sufficiently grow these basic elements must be present in the water at certain concentrations. This is FACT
http://www.coralscience.org/main/articles/biochemistry-2/how-reefs-grow
As these elements are depleted in a closed system it is up to us to replace them. So the buckets of chemicals is a pure fail saying by someone who has no understanding of marine life and its requirements.

CRW Reef;180322 said:
Lol well I must be the exception to the rule of that" no dosing, no growing" because I have a ton of growth and happy corals.
You are no exception. Your reef is mainly zoas, softies and LPS. Granted LPS require KH/CA/MG to grow, they just take it out of the water column much slower than SPS. The corals you have also prefer "dirtier" water and are much more forgiving than SPS, difficult and expert corals. I guarantee you that if you had even half of your corals as SPS you would understand the need for maintaining parameters.

CRW Reef;180322 said:
But I guess in the end, the old wise man's saying of "what works for me may not work for you" trumps all
Chad I can guarantee you that if you took 30 minutes one day out of the week to test your water and strive to maintain proper parameters you would see even better results with your tank.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/4/chemistry

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ah the pseudo scientist/chemist chimes in finally, I've been waiting for you my friend :)

Kris are you saying that each and everyone of your maintenance clients is either manual dosing or is using dosing pumps? If not how come, considering
djkms;180324 said:
The average growing mixed reef consumes 1-2dKH PER DAY.
Wouldn't that make the tanks completely unbalanced and lopsided on their parameters? Are you just dosing large volumes of chemicals the one time you are there each week? Again doesnt that make the tank heavy the first part of the week and depleted at the end? Is it better to swing the params hard 1 time a week to get them from depletion to the correct levels?

djkms;180324 said:
Your reef is mainly zoas, softies and LPS. The corals you have also prefer "dirtier" water and are much more forgiving than SPS, difficult and expert corals. I guarantee you that if you had even half of your corals as SPS you would understand the need for maintaining parameters.
Ah, while you maybe right I haven't stepped up to a full sps/"expert corals" tank, I do have 12+ dif sps in my tank and they are all doing fine with noticeable growth.

Again I do not claim to be scientist, a know it all, that my way will work for everyone, nor that my way is correct and others is incorrect . I'm just a hobbyist that enjoys having a reef that is user friendly for the time I have available to it. With that being said, I guess if I (me personally) had to do constant dosing, parameter watching, parameter chasing, have tank crashes due to overdosing and have to worry about my tanks chemistry everyday; I would just leave the hobby as worrying about all of that constantly would take the fun out of it for me.

djkms;180324 said:
Chad I can guarantee you that if you took 30 minutes one day out of the week to test your water and strive to maintain proper parameters you would see even better results with your tank.
But yes Im sure if I was really worried and cared to keep completely perfect and 100% stable parameters, my tank would soon become amazing and have even better growth and happiness like everyone else who doses :)

* disclaimer - none of my words above are to be considered "gold", "FACT", criticizing, argumentative, insulting and or rude. Just a hobbyist reefer, creating conversation and thought for others, be it for entertainment and or education :p