Does anyone know what this may be? white mesh like growth on Zoas

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have lost one Zoa frag that developed something that I can only describe as a white fiber mesh substance that i tried to remove. The Zoas started shrinking and closing and I tossed the frag as i hoped to nip this but now it is on a second frag - again Zoas. I see no parasites, but it clearly is bad stuff. Have not been able to find anything about how to deal with this. Any help appreciated.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rumen;336910 said:
Does it look like this?
This is more extreme but sure looks the same. My Mac does not cooperate well with sending pics here but I will try today. I do think this is a match, but what do I do - cut the infected portion off? Dip? How can I get rid of it?

Thanks all,
J

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
The calcareous sponges in my tank are everywhere, but don't affect the corals at all. The sponges grow intermixed, but I haven't noticed any detrimental effect and my zoa's are happy as can be and growing like crazy. They should be 100% harmless, as they're filter feeders (Shimek, R. L. (2004). Marine Invertebrates, pg. 23, T.F.H. Publications). That being said, if you want to reduce their population, either reduce the amount of particulate matter in the water column via fine filtration or find something to compete with it. I personally think they're kinda cool looking. Always throws people off when they see them for the first time.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Matt_Arian;336962 said:
The calcareous sponges in my tank are everywhere, but don't affect the corals at all. The sponges grow intermixed, but I haven't noticed any detrimental effect and my zoa's are happy as can be and growing like crazy. They should be 100% harmless, as they're filter feeders (Shimek, R. L. (2004). Marine Invertebrates, pg. 23, T.F.H. Publications). That being said, if you want to reduce their population, either reduce the amount of particulate matter in the water column via fine filtration or find something to compete with it. I personally think they're kinda cool looking. Always throws people off when they see them for the first time.
Sounds like mine are different. I did not mess with removal until I saw the zoas stop polyping out and begin to shrink. This stuff covers the encrustment and zoas become thinned out and die. I have some great sponge in my tank - yellow, purple and had never thought of it as a problem. Thanks for your input Matt.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I simply scrape em off with a small metal scraper from my frag kit. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they stay gone :)