Dosing Pumps do they work?

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Im really confused on the idea of having a dosing pump. Do they pretty much make your tank have perfect params at all time?
how do they even work

so confused.......

if anyone has one let me know how you like it and tell me what it does lol

Thanks

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use brs dose pumps. You have a jug of said fluid. I dose alk. Have them set on a timer to run x amount of hrs or minutes for how many ml's a day you need. Than bam it dose's lets say 20ml's of alk a day to keep your alk where you need it.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Where are you located. I am in loveland. You can check out my set up if you like i use dosing pumps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Andrew_bram;221715 said:
Where are you located. I am in loveland. You can check out my set up if you like i use dosing pumps.

unfortunatly im in aurora. If im up that way i definitly would love to!

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
id say its well worth the price... once i figured out how much to dose, it was set it and forget it...i quit wasting time guessing and messing....

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;221715 said:

I'd like to check it out :) and is it worth it for smaller tanks as well like a 130d Red Sea max? I want it to have clams and lots of sps so mainly good for larger tanks or small as well?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

So replacement depends on jug and size. I have a 125 and one gallon at moment is lasting me about 2-3 months i have heavy sps load. It is nice because i am not dosing everyday. If your worried about chems there are cheap ways to do it there is a place in denver that sells actual dow flake 50 pound bags for $21. I am considering switching to calcium reactor but only because i got a great price on one. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

JuanGutz;221723 said:
I'd like to check it out :) and is it worth it for smaller tanks as well like a 130d Red Sea max? I want it to have clams and lots of sps so mainly good for larger tanks or small as well?
Anytime you would like to stop by.

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Andrew_bram;221724 said:
So replacement depends on jug and size. I have a 125 and one gallon at moment is lasting me about 2-3 months i have heavy sps load. It is nice because i am not dosing everyday. If your worried about chems there are cheap ways to do it there is a place in denver that sells actual dow flake 50 pound bags for $21. I am considering switching to calcium reactor but only because i got a great price on one. Let me know if you have any other questions.

So im looking at not much $ for chemicals. How much is a decent cheap doser? Which one do you have?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have brs 1.1ml dosers and i dose 132ml a day. My apex doses for 10 min every two hours. I used to be a daily doser buy now my levels stay nice and level and i dont have to touch it.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I dont have a problem once you get it dialed in all you have to do is adjust small amounts every couple weeks or so depending on growth.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

You could but i dose mag by hand since its once every couple months.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Justin144;221732 said:
Perfect, so i can have it dose mag and cal at the same time?
You could as long as you have 2 different pumps or a unit that has a controller for multiple pumps.