Dosing Pumps do they work?

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
It is like everything else in this hobby. What works for one may not work for another. Not trying to get in an argument but it may not be the end all be all for you. And depending on your load it maybe not even be necessary

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dosing Pumps do they work?

I would agree with smiley if your only adding 5ml per water change now you dont need a dosing pump. I am using 1 dkh a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;221755 said:
I would agree with smiley if your only adding 5ml per water change now you dont need a dosing pump. I am using 1 dkh a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I as well in both my tanks. I check every other week just to be sure everything is inline and things are working properly. When something looks out of place just check levels.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Dosing Pumps do they work?

If your not dosing your not growing (stony corals that is).

I have used a ca reactor, kalk and 2 part. I prefer 2part for consistency, stability and safety. I use the litermeter 3, brs and a timer or controller work great also!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just added a set of BRS 1.6 ml dosers and sence addi g them to the 180 things could not be happier w how stable things are! Took about a week of testing everyother day to get thing where they need to be, just start slow!
Hey Juan if you want to come check out mine you are also welcome to stop by!

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
So Im the only person that is having some issues? No one else is having the sand/media hardening, pumps being restricted or percipitation. My sand is my only problem but I cant add enough to keep my alk/cal up! Maybe Im just scared.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Dosing Pumps do they work?

Powder have you checked your mag. That is a leading cause for keeping alk/ca stable.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
Andrew_bram;221774 said:
Powder have you checked your mag. That is a leading cause for keeping alk/ca stable.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Dont use as much mag as BRS says too. I do use tropic marin pro reef which has high mag but low alk (7dkh). But yes I check my parameters weekly because I am always dosing extra alk/calk. The guys on RC said low mag use is normal and some sand hardening is normal. I have never seen precip unless Im dosing by hand and get impatient and it goes right away before it even leaves the skimmer chamber.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
your about the 4th person that ive heard use tropic marin pro and have issues with sand hardening... strange!

Ive started using the Microb-Lift Reef Saltz which has high alk, mag, calc and never had issues. i think the mag always ran around 1500, alk around 10, and calc around 480ish. On this tank I dosed 200ml of alk and calc a day on the bubble magus doser. But I also had a vigorous CUC that kept my sand stirred. Nassarius snails, pistol shrimp, cucumbers.

[attachment=63554:name]

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
So back to the question, for those of you who have one. Is it worth my money for me to buy one? I have a few sps right now but will be planning on stuffing my tank with sps soon.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yes, it's worth it. I didn't run one for a while and just manually dosed. Once you get the dosing pumps dialed in, they're basically set and forget aside from re-filling the dosing containers.

I run a cheap "marine magic" doser I picked up off ebay...it has a programmable digital timer built in and has been pretty reliable. The tank has done MUCH better with the stable levels.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think it boils down to your own personal preference based on Size of tank, quantity and type of corals, and if you are able to schedule your life to dose when necessary.

First, what size tank are you running.
If you have a large tank with loads of corals, then you will want to dose and not rely on water changes to maintain your levels. If you have a small tank and do proper water changes, then you can either hand dose or you might consider kalkwasser in your ato to help keep your levels maintained.

Second, what type of corals do you want to keep.
Some types of corals use calcium much more than others. Then it goes back to your life style and if you can dose on a very regular basis.

Third, Lifestyle and free time.
Going back to how much you will need to dose based on size of tank and type of corals, can you set specific times during the day to properly dose the right mount of each mixture. Some people do and some don't. I for don't have that luxury and my fish are fed at all type of different times at night.

I currently run a 16g Nano and a 28g JBJ, but neither have that much in the way of coral. After I complete my 120g build, i will initially hand dose the tank to keep a better track of things, but plan to switch to dosers as i don't ahve room for a calk reactor. The consistancy if your parameters is a huge issue to corals and having a lot dumped in at one time a day can cause your parameters to swing. The dosers drip in small quantities, automatically, throughout the day.

There are plenty of memebers that do just fine with hand dosing so there is nothing wrong wtih that practice. I just need more automation in my life to meet my needs.
Best of luck.