Dosing

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is just a question to see what people's dosing schedule is (if any) and what products they use, swear by, love, hate...I know it depends on the system but if you would in your post please put

1. Type of system you have... Gallons, sps heavy, mix... Salt you use and water change schedule.

2. Do you test? How often?

3. Do you dose? If so what do you dose? And how much/schedule

4. Do you have good results? If you even know? Would you recommend the product?

5. What have you done in the past if anything dosing wise?

6. Anything you didn't like you did in the past? (recommend not using, why?)

Feel free to comment anything relevant too.
I know it's involved but I think this could be a good thing to learn from other reefers who have tried and currently doing different things than you.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
1. Type of system you have... Gallons, sps heavy, mix... Salt you use and water change schedule.

120g full reef with lots of sps. I use fritz salt. And do a water change every 2 weeks.

I do when a coral looks unhappy :p

I run a calcium reactor and I dose phyto and potassium.

Thrive potassium seems to be giving me great results as for coral color. And everyone should dose live phyto.

I tried a dosing pump and it dumped an entire bottle of alk into my 60g cube so now i only use a dosing pump for things that cannot be overdosed like phyto.

I tried vitamin c dosing and it helped my zoas grow but hindered my sps growth.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;315604 said:
Seth how often/much do you dose or how do you dose phyto
And do you just buy from gwa since youre in foco?

I dose 4 cups a day via dosing pump. And I grow my own phyto.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well I don't dose anything yet, although I do put a bit of alk buffer in ro water but that about it

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;315661 said:
Seth can't be the only one who doses... Maybe I'm just not being patient enough for people to respond ;)
As a relative newb, I was told to just let the fish **** in the tank and leave it be. So, of course I put stuff in :). I put in live phyto as I have a pod population that needs maintenance for Mandarin and Target. I have added Combisan ? for some trace elements 1/2 the recommended dose maybe once a month so far. I also add Reef Roids and target feed once every 2 weeks. Everything kept saying it needed zooanthele [sp] and I found this had it.

That being said, since nitrate issues I stopped everything but really tiny 2 min feeding of the fish until it is better. Now at 25 ppm, so we have a way to go.

I too would love to hear what others use with success as well as what did not work. People?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
75 gallon mixed reef - some sps, some lps, 2 anemones, 1 clam and a few zoanthids

a self admitted fault I only run tests when things start looking bad

15ml each of Seachem Reef Fusion 1&2 every few days, 5ml of Kent Marine Tech M every 5 days or so, Aquavitro Fuel 5 ml one time per week

Adding the Tech M into my mix really perked everything up that was suffering - for the first time ever for me I can usually look and see every zoa colony or frag opened at one time vs at random

Used to strictly rely on water changes only until I added lots of sps and my sunburst - what ever you do start slow and low in volume, working your way up to larger amounts so that you dont over do it

Tried Kalkwasser previously and it worked well, just more of a PIA (at least for me and the way i was drip dosing) than it was worth for me. Now that I have dosers just sitting around I might try kalkwasser again

by no means do I recommend my method of madness to anyone (because what works for me might not work for you) - just participating in the thread :p

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

125 gallon, medium stocked mixed reef with 1 nem and 1 clam

Test once every 2 weeks just after a water change. (gives me a baseline to adjust dosing if anything has changed)

Kalkwasser at 1 tsp per gallon with 2 ml per gallon of vinegar.

brs magnesium 20 ml per day on dosing pump (adjusted up to +/- 10 ml per day each week to match demand)

brs sodium carbonate. havent needed to add much after switching to kalk. usually 100 ml in two doses every two weeks to make up for lack of dkH from kalk

brs calcium. same deal as alk. need about 200 ml in two doses every two weeks to make up for lack in kalk.

tried other supplements for big 3. they all work exactly the same but brs is the cheapest (excluding diy randys recipe)

used to dose trace elements. stopped since no major change was seen and I couldnt test for them

dont dose phyto that isnt live. all it does is give you a huge algae bloom and boost your nitrates. live can do the same if it isnt used sparingly.

Feel free to comment anything relevant too.
I know it's involved but I think this could be a good thing to learn from other reefers who have tried and currently doing different things than you.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;315713 said:
dont dose phyto that isnt live. all it does is give you a huge algae bloom and boost your nitrates.

+1

zombie;315713 said:
live can do the same if it isnt used sparingly.
I disagree. I dose about 4 -5 cups of phyto a day and I have not noticed any phosphate/nitrate/nitrite spike. Now of course this could depend on how it is cultured and what type of nutrients are used to grow the phyto.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
You have a place locally to get the Kent Tech M?

CRW Reef;315710 said:
75 gallon mixed reef - some sps, some lps, 2 anemones, 1 clam and a few zoanthids

a self admitted fault I only run tests when things start looking bad

15ml each of Seachem Reef Fusion 1&2 every few days, 5ml of Kent Marine Tech M every 5 days or so, Aquavitro Fuel 5 ml one time per week

Adding the Tech M into my mix really perked everything up that was suffering - for the first time ever for me I can usually look and see every zoa colony or frag opened at one time vs at random

Used to strictly rely on water changes only until I added lots of sps and my sunburst - what ever you do start slow and low in volume, working your way up to larger amounts so that you dont over do it

Tried Kalkwasser previously and it worked well, just more of a PIA (at least for me and the way i was drip dosing) than it was worth for me. Now that I have dosers just sitting around I might try kalkwasser again

by no means do I recommend my method of madness to anyone (because what works for me might not work for you) - just participating in the thread :p

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
sethsolomon;315815 said:
+1

I disagree. I dose about 4 -5 cups of phyto a day and I have not noticed any phosphate/nitrate/nitrite spike. Now of course this could depend on how it is cultured and what type of nutrients are used to grow the phyto.
Yes but arent you are feeding a large feather star which I am sure consumes a good deal the pyhto?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;315819 said:
Yes but arent you are feeding a large feather star which I am sure consumes a good deal the pyhto?

Not any more :( My potters angel ate the feather star 2 weeks ago and then the potters angel proceeded to die from the toxins in the starfish. The only strictly phyto eater's now are some terazoanthus and a carnation coral.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
sethsolomon;315830 said:
Not any more :( My potters angel ate the feather star 2 weeks ago and then the potters angel proceeded to die from the toxins in the starfish. The only strictly phyto eater's now are some terazoanthus and a carnation coral.
Well that is unfortunate.