Downsizing

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going from a 240 cube to a standard 210. I want the 6' length and I'll be able to use 3 MH instead of 4. I'll also be able to get better flow throughout the tank with less power heads. I'm wondering about the steel stand on my tile floors and if it's going to crack the tile. Going in the basement so floors are tile on concrete. My last stand had a full wooden perimeter, this one has 6 legs. Think I'll have problems?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think that's a lot of weight on each leg for your tile, even on the concrete floor. Maybe do plywood under the tank to distribute the weight or just some under each leg. How are you going to wrap the stand? I'm thinking your skimmer and such will be under the tank, might be nice to have a bottom anyhow.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sump is a 200 gallon that will be sitting next to the tank in the laundry room. Got both the steel stand and skin for it from one of the great members of this club for free!!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on plywood under the legs. I'd paint the plywood first with a marine paint or something similar since you can bet it will get wet at some point.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
aztecdreams;358210 said:
You guys don't think the weight of the tank would just crush the plywood?
I don't think so, but that said there are varying qualities of plywood. Get a quality plywood and you should be fine (no need to spend the $ on cabinet grade though). You might want a steel plate and then the plywood. That would help spread the load.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im not looking forward to the switch. Truth be told, I'm actually feeling overwhelmed. Getting enough people to move it into the basement, having enough room to store the livestock during the move, the setup, .....anybody wanna buy a brand new 210??

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
If you need any help let me know, still need to come by for some frags, been super busy the past couple weeks.