Dragon Pipefish/refugium question

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just picked up a pair of these, and absolutely love them. They are really cool fish and bring another different dynamic to the tank which I enjoy.

I did my research on these and had originally thought dosing pods monthly would suffice. Starting to wonder if that will work. I dose phyto regularly and have a good pod population, but a pair might eat through what I have quickly.

I have the capability of a refugium in my sump, and have been tossing around the idea of staring one. I understand the denitrification benefits but am more interested in the pod production. I've never really ran a fuge, and have always went with skimming and carbon through my reactor which has been successful for me. Any pros and cons to setting this up?

Looking at this light:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=29013

I do currently have my heater in this chamber (where the refugium would be) as well as my dosing lines drip into here. Does this pose any issues with chaeto?

Thanks!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I grow goo gobs of chaeto and other macros. I also have 8 thriving mangroves.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Would having a refugium, skimmer and carbon reactor running all on the same system potentially strip it of too much nutrients?

Would having the heater, dosing lines and a small power head be less than ideal? I don't really have anywhere else to put them

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;330767 said:
Would having a refugium, skimmer and carbon reactor running all on the same system potentially strip it of too much nutrients?

Would having the heater, dosing lines and a small power head be less than ideal? I don't really have anywhere else to put them
ditch the carbon. you wont need it.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dragon Pipefish/refugium question

Makes sense but I've heard there are many more benefits to running carbon beyond the denitrification...?

Another question... Would the pod production from the fuge in the sump automatically seed the tank? Or is that something where I'd need to shake out chaeto in the display?

I don't have any sand in the sump but have live rock in there since day 1. I'd be hesitant to add sand due to silicates and the potential for a diatom bloom. Is it okay to run the fuge without any sandbed?

I'd assume you alternate the light schedule to balance PH. When the display lights are off, the fuge light is on?

Sorry for all the questions. Just wanna keep these pipefish alive and healthy without any ill effects to my tank and SPS

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I guess it's also reasonable to ask if simply dosing pods would be sufficient?