dropped my skimmate into sump

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I clean out my skimmer every water change and today, my hands were slippery and I dropped the whole cup into my sump. this was after a 10% water change. I mixed up another batch and waiting for the temp to get up before doing another water change. how bad is this? my skimmate is dry and dark. now my skimmer is going crazy. should I be worried? making more rodi for another water change tomorrow too.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have zoa and lps honestly they will love it. I wouldnt worry about another big water change. You will have a slight algae bloom but honestly i have noticed even sps and respond positively to a slight slip. Keeping your water to clean can be as bad or worst than slighty dirty water imo.

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
I wouldn't worry about it, I have done the same before and didn't even do another water change, Just turn your skimmer up some to pull it out faster. I think your tank will be fine though!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You might get a little algae bloom and make a few corals mad for a day or two, but I wouldnt worry about it too much as long as your ammonia is still reading 0. The next time this happens, you could do what I did when I dropped mine in the sump. Safest route in my book.

1. Turn off return pump as soon as you dump it in.

2. Break siphon on overflows to limit how much tank water gets back into the sump.

3. Drain the sump all the way (excluding the fuge section)

4. Add fresh saltwater to replace what you took out.

5. Turn everything back on and its like you never dropped it into the sump at all :)

Last edited by a moderator: