Dual Overflow Mod

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 120 I'm getting set up. I have had the dual overflows before and couldn't ever get it to be silent. I've been reading a lot on making them into either a herbie or a bean setup by having one side drain, 3 drains, one drain and three returns, etc. Anybody done this before and have suggestions or should I just leave it as is? Thanks!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sorry, got interrupted by bed time. Lol So I did the dual herbie and drilled the back for the return, if I remember correctly. The dual wasn't as quiet as the single I had in my 75. If you have the patience I'd remove one of the returns and cap off the drilled holes. This will give you some extra real estate that fills faster than you'd think in the 120. Then I'd drill a small hole in the back glass of the other over flow so you can do a full blown silent system (bean animal).

If you can afford it you could do a reef synergy "ghost" or glass holes. Both leave the entire tank for aqua scape. I wish I did that in my current tank. Good luck with it! Have fun.