Duncans - fragging with skin?

OK, so I have googled the heck out of this so that I don't waste anyone's time:

I have a nice Duncan with like 7 heads, probably more, and it's getting pretty big, but the thin, leathery flesh stuff seems to be all the way down to the original frag plug, skin which apparently you can't cut when fragging or you risk infecting it and killing it.

Has anyone else fragged a Duncan, cut a branch/head off and cut through the thin flesh around its base successfully or am I nuts? I'm referring not to the pretty pink head itself but the suede-like material around the branches lower down.

I just can't see a way around it other than waiting ten years for the base to die back. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can cut through the flesh, I have done it several times, and never killed a single duncan, be ready for the density of the skeleton though, its the toughest coral there is to frag!!!

Thanks demon, I may have to invest in a dremel for this one

From inside the skeleton or from the heads?

Great - the kids will be so pleased, lol. However, I usually do my frankensteining when everyone is abed. That way I don't frighten anyone with my giant goggles (whilst wielding snips and rubber gloves). Acquired goggles this week after seeing the pic of another member's run-in with palys.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
monitor the amount of heat generated by the cut, a dremmel can burn the coral.

Good to know - is there another way to do it besides dremel that people prefer or is Dremel pretty much the only way? I was thinking my big snips but afraid they would just fracture the skeleton into shards.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol, no, unless your popeye, you need a power tool for this one!!, or maybe a hacksaw......

Ah, I see. Maybe I'll just buy some Duncan frags, lol. This sounds like work.

Watched a vid of this guy was using a dremel a diy splash guard and a drip line from his tank cooling the cut. Safety glassed advised wouldnt want the crud coming off in your eyes

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was actually able to frag one with a razor blade and a hammer, however it took about 1 hour and was really hard, so I to suggest a dremel

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also worth mentioning...

Spend the extra money and invest in the variable speed dremel. The one with about 3 positions is decent, but the variable speed model with a dial is a worthwhile investment.

You should be able to turn it down enough to make nice long cuts without too much burning. Granted, I'm a newbie and have never fragged...but my dremel has seen a 7 solid years of fixing/restoring motorcycles. It will last and be worth every penny.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a sharp sharp knife and a hammer to frag mine takes seconds.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dremel with a diamond blade is the best way. Or a band saw.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a dremmel 9000 and I preffer the "copeing saw" its faster honestly. The saw blade I use is the largest tooth blade they sale at lows