Mindstream

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got a couple friends on a different forum that ordered the Mindstream with a 6-8 week delivery time frame. Both went past that timeline and asked for their money back (which they promptly received with no problems). After the 8 weeks, one asked when he could expect it and they couldn’t give him an answer. Has anyone else had similar experiences or actually gotten one?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I had planned on getting one when they were released but funds went to changing lights for now. I was impressed with what they are supposed to monitor and the technology.

I’m not surprised that there are issues with delivering the product given the long delay in release. I think they had issues finding a manufacturer to produce the end product but that should have been resolved before release? It’s unfortunate that they aren’t able to meet the promised timeline after the years promotion with no release in site.

I assume they were conservative in the initial manufacturing run not knowing how well it was going to sell? It’s a big gamble producing 10k units and only selling 1k. Or producing 1k and having 10k requested the first month only to have those customers pull out because there is more delay after years of promotion and delay. I’m only thinking about it from a small business perspective.

I hope they get this sorted out.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven’t been following any of the other forums. Have other people received units yet? How’s the feedback been. Probably a good idea to wait for a V2.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm not a huge fan of monthly fees, but I guess I don't totally understand if one would need to replace the disk once a month or something? Then the $35 or $40 monthly charge covers the testing disk as well? Something like the Triton has reagents that last a month or 2 at $40 a pop...kind of like a monthly expense.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven’t been following any of the other forums. Have other people received units yet? How’s the feedback been. Probably a good idea to wait for a V2.
I’ve heard of a few people getting them but not many. The one guy on R2R that I saw showing his off won it at a MACNA raffle.

I had planned on getting one when they were released but funds went to changing lights for now. I was impressed with what they are supposed to monitor and the technology.

I’m not surprised that there are issues with delivering the product given the long delay in release. I think they had issues finding a manufacturer to produce the end product but that should have been resolved before release? It’s unfortunate that they aren’t able to meet the promised timeline after the years promotion with no release in site.

I assume they were conservative in the initial manufacturing run not knowing how well it was going to sell? It’s a big gamble producing 10k units and only selling 1k. Or producing 1k and having 10k requested the first month only to have those customers pull out because there is more delay after years of promotion and delay. I’m only thinking about it from a small business perspective.

I hope they get this sorted out.
I’ve heard of Chinese manufacturers that will give a stellar prototype and then the production model is different. Hopefully that’s not the case. I kind of have the feeling that they jumped the gun. They have a product that is like 8 years in the making and they saw Neptune, GHL, and others bring their similar products to market and they all of a sudden felt they needed to do the same.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm not a huge fan of monthly fees, but I guess I don't totally understand if one would need to replace the disk once a month or something? Then the $35 or $40 monthly charge covers the testing disk as well? Something like the Triton has reagents that last a month or 2 at $40 a pop...kind of like a monthly expense.
Yeah, my understanding is that the monthly fee goes toward disk replacement. There is also cost associated with maintaining the back end server but that’s not in the literature. Just a back end reality for them as a business. Not sure how significant that is.

Neptune charges so much upfront, I assume some of that cost is being put towards their servers and support. (Not that the Mindstream is cheep upfront :) )

I do like the idea of the form factor with the mindstream. No liquid titrants and a small device.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, my understanding is that the monthly fee goes toward disk replacement. There is also cost associated with maintaining the back end server but that’s not in the literature. Just a back end reality for them as a business. Not sure how significant that is.

Neptune charges so much upfront, I assume some of that cost is being put towards their servers and support. (Not that the Mindstream is cheep upfront :) )

I do like the idea of the form factor with the mindstream. No liquid titrants and a small device.
I was surprised how big it actually is. I saw it on their web site with nothing around to show scale but then saw someone holding it and it’s softball sized.

I’m with you; I like that there’s no reagents. Man, $35/month though. Maybe if they add no3 and po4 I’ll get on board. That would pretty much eliminate all the testing I do.

Punjab

Angel Fish
Holy smokes! $1,000 plus a $40 monthly fee?!

"Wireless power through the glass" - hmm, interesting

Their website also says "Designed and built in the USA"
I'm guessing that means 'Designed and assembled in the USA'