elegance vs angle

Hi all,
I just bought a great looking Elegance coral about 5 inches long. she looked really good for the first few days. I came home today and my wife says she never really came out today. Could it be our Bi=Colored angle has been picking at it? Now that she sucked in the angle comes over and picks at the base but I haven't seen him pick at the "meat" yet.
Am I just being paranoid, as the Angle has never really bothered the Torch or Frogspawn, accept the occasional poke at the base when the corals are "sleeping"
The Elegance is really sucked in right now View attachment 6846 could this be something else? My water parameters seem to be ok. Looking for some thoughts. I hate to lose this coral, this is my biggest livestock purchase to date.
If it is the angle, will he kill the coral overnight? I'll get rid of the Angle tomorrow if needed.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would vote that it probably is the angle, but its tuff to say for sure but the coral def looks stressed. The angle wont kill it over night but if you decide it is the angle i wouldn't drag your feet when it comes to getting it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I just put a strawberry container over it.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have a QT or sump, pull the angel and throw it in there for a couple days. If the Elegance comes back out and looks happy you found the culprit before any more damage could be done.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am 99% sure your angel did not do that.

Elegance have a very very very poor track record in captivity. Supposedly Australian elegance do better in captivity but I have not seen it. We get elegance in occasionally due to demand but a majority of them do not make it. They do exactly what you say; look great for a few days then they melt away like your picture shows. 15 years ago these corals did very well in our systems but now a days they just don't survive and no one really knows why. Honestly, dont waste your money on them.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Probably not the angel and more like 20 years ago. Best bet is low flow and reduce the light it is getting.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Damn I did get my first elegance when i was 13 which was 20 years ago. Thanks for reminding me just how old i am Scott!!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 to no elegance. They slowly collapse like a Flan in a cupboard. Just like nonORA gonis.

Knowing that I'm new to all this, It would be nice if the store would have let me know before I bought it. My wife looked it up earlier today and found virtually the same answer as djkms gave.........my fault for jumping in without research. That's also how I got the Angel, just bought it before researching. Come to think of it, that's how I got a reef tank..........

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
HammerT;165253 said:
Knowing that I'm new to all this, It would be nice if the store would have let me know before I bought it. My wife looked it up earlier today and found virtually the same answer as djkms gave.........my fault for jumping in without research. That's also how I got the Angel, just bought it before researching. Come to think of it, that's how I got a reef tank..........
We all do this!

Update: I put a strawberry crate over the top of the elegance and held it down with a rock. Yesterday when I got home from work the elegance was looking much better. this morning it was looking real good. Unfortunately by doing so I protected it from the Angel, protected it from direct light and greatly reduced the flow around it. All things suggested here. Now I have to figure which one is the culprit. I'm thinking (hoping) it may be as simple as a slow introduction to my system. 24hrs unprotected 24 protected, 36 on 24 off, 48 on 24 off.... I will also try a shaded spot with less flow.

Another update:
A day after I posted the last update the Angel fish mysteriously went missing, Found what was left of him (not much) 2 days later (sucked him out of cave during a water change). Any ideas as to what would cause that? No signs of sickness or anything, just disappeared one day.
The elegance has had a rough time, never seeming to find a good place for him. The only thing we haven't let him stay for very long is up high with full light. I'm afraid that will finish him off if left there for very long.
Right now I have him in a medium flow and shadowed area.......not sure what else to do?
Water is ok, 0-trace of ammonia and nitrates, PH and KH could be higher but not bad, calcium is at 350 and Mag is 1350ish.