Why do things go wrong when you're away?

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
My reef has been up for about 10+ months now. This past weekend was the first time I went away for 4 full days, and back on the 5th. Had a friend come by and feed. Can't believe I had two problems.

First, the Neptune apex auto top off (ATK) failed. The switch was reporting closed, so the ATO never turned on. My friend send me a text saying, man - there are a lot of air bubbles in your display... we quickly came to troubleshoot and I manually turned ATO on. Before water got to the switch, turned it off. I routinely clean the sensors but asked him to clean it. I took off the defer command. Send a software update (just to reset) the FMM. Had him unplug the switch, played with the auto detect and manual config of the port, still the switch read open. ARGGG. I resolved to manually turned on the pump 5 min a day, and asked him to look when he fed, but a pain. I'm still troubleshooting and will take steps to make sure I catch this with another low water switch.... sigh

Second, I get the text on Sunday, saying some SPS doesn't look good. He sent some pics... and sure enough, some RTN. I got back yesterday, tested everything and Calc was a bit high 450, and Alk was a bit low 7dkh. I took steps to slowly lower Calc and increase Alk, I tested on Thurs, day before leaving and for weeks, parameters were solid - stable. I'll test today but man, did that have to happen when I was gone? I lost several frags, and things do not look happy. I'll figure it out but gosh, really, when I'm gone?

It's great to have a friend you trust with a key to your house, and also knowledgeable enough to catch things.

Thanks for listing to me vent...

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Always my biggest worry when I travel! I have a college kid pretty well trained to come feed and check on things every day, but he's almost done with school and will be moving on soon. I'm going to have to find and train somebody else!

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's amazing how they always go wrong on trips. Seems every time I go somewhere something happens. I went to California I come back BAM I have aiptaisa... lol Only time nothing bad happened is when I had Aquatic Arts watch my tank. Best choice to make. It wasn't very expensive either. The aftermath of problems costs more.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's amazing how they always go wrong on trips. Seems every time I go somewhere something happens. I went to California I come back BAM I have aiptaisa... lol Only time nothing bad happened is when I had Aquatic Arts watch my tank. Best choice to make. It wasn't very expensive either. The aftermath of problems costs more.
Spontaneous creation of aiptaisa. That’s a new one. All because you went to California.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
yup. Murphys law of reef tanks. No problems and everything rock solid.. go on vacation and instant ato, dosing, water leaks, and heater failures..