"excited" snail

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So my wife just ran in to tell me the tank is looking really cloudy. I run over to the tank and sure enough it is very cloudy looking. Nothing seemed to be amiss and the water was clear 15 minutes prior. The wife points to a trochus snail on the glass and asks what is wrong with it. Sure enough it is "spraying" a milky substance into the water... sperm or eggs.
The water is now pretty cloudy (the tank is only 38 gallons). Do i need to do a water change ASAP? Or will the corals feed on this and the skimmer take care of the rest?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would think it would become coral/fish food and not be a problem. Others may chime in though.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have heard many stories of other CUC spawning with no issues like Cleaner shrimp for example.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Water looks clear and back to normal this morning. I'll still do a water change tonight or tomorrow in case there are extra organics in the water.
I'd be really happy to see baby snails crawling around, but this looked like a solo act...

This happened in my tankabout a month ago. I noticed all my snails were in a group. We’re talking 50-75 of them all piled on topof each other. Freaked me out for amoment then I got to thinking - Hmmmmm, I wonder...? Could it be? OMG!!! Sure enough all of asudden it was like they were smoldering; plumes of white smoke came from the ‘clump’. It wasn’t like Bob and Sally moseyed off bythemselves it was more like “Hey everyone! Orgy at Bob and Sally’s. Everyone’swelcomed. Please bring a covered dish to share.” While watching them (yah, Iknow. Pervert!) I noticed other smaller groups clumped together and all ofthese groups were as high as they could get on the rock work throughout theaquarium. This ‘scene’ went on for 30-minutes at least. I finally got tired of watching and takingpictures (again…Pervert, I know. I felt so dirty - LOL) and went to bed. By the way, this all happened after thelights went off and only the moon lights were on.