exorcism of zoa eating nudis

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;228025 said:
Coris are far better at pest control, they should get along fine as long as your six line is not huge. You have a sand bed right? they use the sand as shelter.
Yep, I've got a deep sand bed. The 6 line is new, just got him a week or so ago from a LFS, so he's not huge. There's lots of room for them both, too. It's a 125.

I want to double check something else, too- the only thing at risk are zoas, right? I just traded a chalice frag to ReeferMatt, based on the nudis only eating zoas and the chalice being on the opposite side of the tank from the zoa garden. If I just introduced them to his tank, I'm gonna feel horrible.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
exorcism of zoa eating nudis

I think that greatly depends, I would notify him either way so he can do a really good dip on it just in case. I would find it unlikely but they will travel through the tank if its infested

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know that it's infested, because I have only ever seen 1 at a time, and I search the tank for them on a daily basis. That's what's so frustrating to me. I dip all the zoas every few days, and they open right up when they go back in the tank. And they stay open for a week or more, so I think I finally licked them. Then one day there's some closed polyps, and I look closer and see one. Just one. No signs of any others anywhere. It's like playing whackamole. So I dip the whole batch again. And they open right up when I put them back in the tank...
I'm getting a coral treatment tank today, and they're going to get a freshwater dip, then live in that for a week with Bayer. I'll do water changes and replenish the Bayer, and use a hang on back filter for circulation. Then I'll rinse them a couple of times in tank water, then freshwater dip them before they go back in the tank. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what I'll do. About ready to give up on having zoas, after the aptasia eating filefish business, and now this.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
dvenson;228044 said:
Yes they only eat zoas I would contact anyone who you sold zoas to in the last 2 months and let them know.
No way would I sell or trade or give away zoas with this going on. At this point, I won't even let zoas out of my tank until months after the last nudi sighting, just to make sure nobody else has this issue because of me.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cindy,

Can you post a picture of one, to make sure they are zoa eating nudi's? I am suprised to hear that FWE did not touch them. It is my understanding that FWE is the only thing that will kill them. I had to use FWE at 5x or so time's it's normal dose, which ended up destroying my tank a little over a year ago. If they are zoa eating nudi's, they are nasty, and bad news. I agree with Daniel. Pull out all of your zoa's, and put them in another tank. Leave them out of your DT for at least 6-8 weeks after you are sure they are all dead. This way you can treat the smaller tank, while all of the nudi's in your DT die off (they won't have any food to eat).

The eggs will be white, and look like a spiral, usually on the side of a zoa, but can also be on a rock, or possible a different coral. Anyone who has received a coral from you, could have potentially received an egg or a baby.

I would also add a yellow coris to both tanks, then sell the other when you are done with your treatment. They will eat them, but not a ton of them, because the nudi's are toxic, and you probably also have a ton of pods in your tank to keep the wrasse on a diversified diet.

You'll also notice their colors will change. This is because they will take on the color from the zoa they've been munching on.

Good luck!!

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
If I hadn't killed them all, I'd post a pic. If I see another one, I will take a pic of it before I kill it. The ones I've seen definitely match the pics online for zoa eating nudis. FWE at a quadruple+ dose didn't touch the one I was trying to kill with it, but Bayer definitely does. I just don't think it gets the eggs. I'm hoping if I dose the small tank with Bayer and leave it in there for a week or two (replenishing with water changes), that will kill them all as they hatch. Then I'll do a 100% water change and leave them in there for a couple of months just to make sure they're gone. I don't want to put a fish in with the Bayer, so I'll hold off on getting the coris until the extended treatment with Bayer is finished. Decided to get new dry rock for the 180 to severely reduce any possibility of unwanted hitchhikers into the new tank. The new sand I ordered online arrived today, so there won't be anything coming in that way. (Note to self: give a huge holiday bonus to my mailman for carrying 160 lbs up to my doorstep.)

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Im surprised FWE wouldnt work either. You have to hunt the eggs down and scrape them off manually. I had quite a bout with these little batsards about 2 years ago when I was just getting into the hobby. Id kill em off, theyd come back, Id kill em off, theyd come back. I figured it was the eggs so I eventually set up a small zoa QT tank and went to town. About everyother day I would go through each frag and colony and remove anything that looked like eggs with a toothbruch and stainless dental scraper, and then dip with FWE, rinse with RO and back into QT, repeat every other day for about 4 weeks. I used alot of FWE but Once everything was gone, I waited another 2 weeks before adding the zoas back to the DT and havent had a problem since.