Familiar w/ Copepod Reproductive Cycle?

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey All,

This is probably overkill for the problem I face, but doesn't hurt to try. I've constructed a few mobile "copepod condos" to help transfer pods from my refugium to my display tank. I'm hoping someone with knowledge of the copepod life/reproductive cycle would suggest a good amount of time that I can use between rotations.

What I'm trying to avoid: Copepods lay eggs all over my condo > condo moves to display tank > I move condo back to refugium before eggs hatch > More pods in refugium

So I'm looking for recommendations as to how long I should keep a condo in the display tank to ensure that any existing eggs have hatched. Maybe this is impossible, as I'm sure copepods at all stages of the life cycle will inhabit the condos (not just eggs). However, never hurts to ask those w/ more experience w/ copepods or with this strategy in particular.

Thanks!

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Honestly filter media works better to transfer pods IMO. I use the blue filter pad, cut like a 2"x2" square, put it in the fuge for a couple days, it fills with pods and I then use a veggie clip and clip it in the tank. Seems to work great for me, I always have a nice population of pods and my dragonette is always fat and happy.

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;284908 said:
Honestly filter media works better to transfer pods IMO. I use the blue filter pad, cut like a 2"x2" square, put it in the fuge for a couple days, it fills with pods and I then use a veggie clip and clip it in the tank. Seems to work great for me, I always have a nice population of pods and my dragonette is always fat and happy.
AH that is a way easier idea...I will do that in conjunction with the condos (dumped $30 on rubble rocs, gutter guard, and zip ties...can't abandon the condos!)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Good to know. Thanks reefcheif, i had the same question.