1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite "Low End" Corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by BrianH, Jan 17, 2017.

1. BrianH

BrianH Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I was just reading the latest entries on Seth's build thread and it got me thinking... Now, I'll be the first one to admit that I frequently get geeked out about fancy named, high dollar, crazy colored corals, but there are so many awesome common less expensive corals out there. That being said, I decided these corals needed a thread in their honor. My personal favorite "low end" coral is pulsing xenia. There are no other corals quite like these hypnotic beauties. I'm not sure if it is still there, but elite reef used to have an amazing cube filled with pulsing xenia. Attached is a link to a nice article explaining why they pulse... What is your favorite "low end" coral?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...aily_TrendMD_1

2. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I have to say one of my favorites happens to be my first coral, which is the giant elephant ear mushrooms. They are bright green and when fully opens and splayed out on the sand bed they look very similar to a carpet nem.
    I have also seen some pretty amazing leather corals that often times are considered low end, that grow out into these beautiful colonies, with plenty of movement to hypnotize you like the xenia can too
    http://www.wiki-reef.com/CoralSpecimen.aspx?cid=168

3. MuralReef

MuralReef Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I really like GSP and birds nests.

4. MuralReef

Funny I saw Seth's post too and that got me thinking about the same thing. For the big tank at school I am planning on giving up on the high end stuff and going with easy stuff like this. While my students do appreciate the diversity they don't know the difference between a freebie and a $100 frag!

5. neil82

neil82 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

I like the candy cane coral. One of the first frags that really took off and grew for me. Love the look under blue LEDs when the polyps open up and extend.

6. Roscoe

Roscoe Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I've got some gsp and mint polyps that you can have on a DBTC

MuralReef likes this.
  7. SynDen

We all have tons of those lol

MuralReef likes this.
  8. MuralReef

I am good on both but thanks for the offer!

9. jda123

jda123 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Green slimer. Most circular zoas (rasta, scrambled eggs, blonies, hornets, etc.). Plating montipora.

sethsolomon likes this.
  10. halmus

halmus Prawn

I was just talking to someone about this general topic! I plan on having a SPS dominant tank, but I'll have a little island of GSP on the sand bed for sure! I just want to be able to contain them, but a really satisfying coral.

11. spinycheek

spinycheek Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots

I always love Monti caps, basic green zoanthids and Ricordea.

12. Bdk1786

Bdk1786 Amphipod

Always a sucker for Birdsnest and GSP.

13. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

My favorite "low end" is green toadstool leather. And the bread and butter zoas from Vietnam. Tons of color for super cheap.

14. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

One of my favorite cheapies are Duncan's.

Bdk1786 likes this.
  15. Ghxst

Ghxst Prawn

RFA's, all the joy of having an nem without the worry of stinging other corals or eating live stock.

16. Texco

Texco Copepod

Kenya Trees

17. SynDen

I have to add Yellow scroll too

sethsolomon likes this.
  18. halmus

halmus Prawn

Yellow scroll is at the top of my list. One one my favorite. I've never considered it a "low end coral" because I rarely see mature colonies outside of public aquariums. The best colonies I've seen were at the public aquarium out on Staten Island.

sethsolomon likes this.
  19. kane4fire

kane4fire Copepod

I love pulsating xenia's because of their movement :)

20. ReefCheif

ReefCheif Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Hollywood stunner