Favorite "low light" corals

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have been moving coral again and have made a lot of room in the bottom 6 inches of my tank. I was wondering what your favorite corals are for the sand bed or very low light (my 6 bulb t5 doesn't do a lot at the bottom of my 30" deep tank). Looking for corals that have good color and don't need a lot of light. I have acans, and favias for the job, but what else do you like (zoas, tongue corals, disc corals, whatever)? Feel free to post pictures!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
ricordias and shrooms are my faves. I've also got a small, yet bada$$, colony of deepwater zoas that seem really happy a couple of inches up from the bottom in a medium/high flow area.

My zoas seem to do very well on the sand bed of my Biocube, just with the stock pc lighting. Although its hard to beat a nice ricordia garden situated on the sand bed.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
loving the suggestions, keep em' coming! I have seen some of your tanks, I know you have some cool stuff on the sand!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
how much and what you put in the sand bed will depend on whether you have a sand sifting goby (or other substrate-disturbing critter)

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Favorite "low light" corals

I like them all!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
May have to move some chalices down and see what happens to them. Both of these lightened up a bit but I have them high as they looked great in a shallow frag flat under Led.

[attachment=63402:name]

I may have to add one of my own favorites. On a whim I put a piece of hollywood stunner on the side of a rock at the very bottom of the tank under an overhang. To my surprise it grew with very little light, looking great but growing slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a couple leptastreas in my tank...one is a tyree flames from hell that is about 10" under my 150W halide and has GREAT polyp extension and color. The other one (relevant to this thread) has silver/blue mouths with a green skirt and the entire colony (about 7" x 3") is tucked inside a cave, completely shielded from light. It's definitely growing slower but looks much happier than it did when I had it getting direct light, even though it was way in the back corner of the tank at that time.

Definitely one of my favorites in my little cube.