Feedback - DIY Reactor for Biopellets?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let me know what you think...DIY in-sump biopellet reactor...This would cost $40, and have about a 4.5 cup capacity for biopellets (?)...Is it really worth it for me to spend 2-3x this for a new real-deal reactor...

Use 48 oz Nalgene below (11.6" x 3.6" ...drill a hole in top cover and insert rigid plastic tube to bottom for up flow operation...with flex tubing to Hydor Pico Evolution 1200 pump (0-300gph adjustable flow)...hole cut on top side of Nalgene for return (drip)...use eggcrate and plastic canvas to cut top/bottom discs for media containment...

View attachment 11772
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Centrif...TF8&colid=17DL2943AZCUU&coliid=I2JC5RK2EMCX4M

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Interesting idea! I made some from black 4" PVC and caps. I could hear it tumbling but never trusted it. Now I have a BRS reactor. You can buy a BRS type reactor at HD for about $40.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So this raises a big question for me - I wonder if I'm over-estimating how much media this nalgene would hold?

I estimate 4.5 cups because the Nalgene will hold 6 cups of water...subtracted from that 1.5 cups based on space needed inside for discs, up flow tube, etc...

But, I see the dimensions are pretty close to the same as the BRS bio pellet reactor. I see that only lists a 1.5 cup capacity.

What am I missing?

By the way, Jack, great idea on the PVC. I recall seeing that post/pic somewhere, I'll have to go find it. What did you do to create mesh discs at top/bottom?

Maybe there's a bigger Nalgene type container...I'll keep looking...

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Feedback - DIY Reactor for Biopellets?

Nalgene I wonder what they did to get rid of the bph, since bph is a byproduct of polycarbonate. Would be worth a try.

Btw, I don't think it's the reactor type, as much as the flow. I was barely tumbling in a NextReef SMR1 (big ole fail), while another member was using a modded TLF 150 with some ridiculous flow (win). We both used the same pellets.

I've thought about using an old skimmer body, some uniseals, and creative plumbing to do a recirculating reactor

Last edited by a moderator:

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
How about this instead of the Nalgene? Cheaper, more capacity, no lip at top (easier to put in / pull out the DIY biopellet chamber) and I don't even have to drill a return hole. LOL on my ridiculous DIY inventions.

[attachment=63718:name]

Jaime, do you think the pump I found can dial to enough flow? 300gph, seems to throttle as high as the ones that come with the bio pellet reactor kits out there.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Probably 200G total water volume. Messy big predators in it, so expecting very high nitrate load. Also plenty o phosphates that I deal with...

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Not enough space. I did some research because I just bought a reef octopus I think the 140 reactor for my 180 . It's about flow and space for the pellets to be able to move freely also design too. Just my .02

Sent from Earth

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

I had a 800gph pump, serving dual duty as return and running bp reactor. I wish I could get the results that the 300gph pumps are putting out.

I went to the dollar store and pieced together a DIY reactor, I'm confident it would've worked, but weldon doesn't work on HDPE very well. If you use the pitcher, use a design that doesn't need to be glued in or get the appropriate glue.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys.

Matt, so you don't think the 1G pitcher would be enough, right? I see its close to the same volume as the reef octopus 110, but only about half the volume as the 140. Do you really need a 140 for 180G of water volume? It looks like the BRS site shows the 110 as having enough capacity for up to 200G, if I add up the biopellet capacities right (below)? Asking because I thought you're not supposed to over-bio-pelletize your system. Sorry all the questions, trying to figure this out still.

BR-110 Combo Pack

• 3.9 Diameter x 21 Tall
  • Footprint: 5.25 x 5.25 (6.7 is with the lid)
  • {800ml BioPellet Capacity}
  • Max recommended feed flow: 520-790 GPH
  • 1000ml BRS Bio Pellets

BR-140 Combo Pack

• 5.5 Diameter x 21 Tall
  • Footprint: 7 x 7 (8.3 is the with the lid)
  • 1500ml+ BioPellet Capacity
  • Max recommended feed flow: 790-920 GPH
  • 1/2 Gallon (1882) of Bio Pellets

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I'll give the 1G pitcher a shot. Since the whole DIY build will cost me $7 for a reactor, I may as well give this a try.

Based on the total-to-media volume percentages of the Reef Octopus units, I would be able to spin 800mL media in this. That said, as Matt stated the design of this could be an issue (mine will be a stocky not long cylinder so the design is way inferior). Since I'm only adding about 600mL of media, I'm guessing it should be ok.

Also, I may go bigger on the pump to compensate for the inefficient design. This is another low price pump that lets you dial the flow (300-600 gph).
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Quietf...=UTF8&colid=17DL2943AZCUU&coliid=IKAG4AOJ3KYW

FWIW, here's another option I found that gets much bigger...Unfortunately I can't find any FDA grade containers that are more of a long than stocky cylinder.

[attachment=63732:name]

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24743&catid=0&clickid=popcorn

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
But don't you need to control the outflow directly into the skimmer intake? Again I'm new to all this biopellet stuff.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

That would be a recirculating reactor to be able to control tumble and return flow. They say it should go to the skimmer intake to get what is processed skimmed out

Sent from Earth

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

BRS is having a sale on their deionization reactor... That's exactly what I'm using

I run mine off my main pump as well

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jack, nice! Thanks for the tip. I may get this as I need DI for my RO water. I think the BRS canisters are too small for my system, unless I get a few.

On the spaghetti strainer, is the idea that you'd just throw this in your sump, maybe with flow pointed at it (and something on top so the pellets don't escape?).

OK, now I get recirculating reactors, didn't before, interesting.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

daverf;226689 said:
On the spaghetti strainer, is the idea that you'd just throw this in your sump, maybe with flow pointed at it (and something on top so the pellets don't escape?).
I took the spaghetti container to mean the kind of container used to hold dry uncooked spaghetti. They are typically long and slender in design. I may be wrong.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have a fluval 203 canister filter that needs a new gasket that I have no use for. If you could use it you are welcome to it.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Inside baskets are in good shape.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
aaaaaaaaaaah.....i see...thanks!

Actually that is a great idea, if the volume is rightsized. I don't think i would be quite as much volume as a TLF 150, but not sure.

(that = the spaghetti container)