Feedback - DIY Reactor for Biopellets?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;230200 said:
Just read up on the link, I have some 4" acrylic tube (bought it on sale, $21/ft. What a deal!) I didn't know you could use the MJ external like that, mind always get crazy hot. I just might try and make one as well.
Nice! Yeah man...I should call these lazy reactors...I've worked with acrylic before but didn't feel like doing it this time...I cracked myself up that each reactor actually uses the pitcher spout functionally (shows how truly lazy I was - I barely cut any holes in the pitchers).

I'm using the MJ internal (is that what you meant?). In the close up of the sulfur pitcher, I've pulled the chamber out of the pitcher, so the chamber will actually be dropped inside the pitcher when in use. Since the MJ 400 is only 5 watts, I'm hoping heat isn't an issue (MJ 1200 is 20w), but I'll keep an eye on the temp.

The only question I have is whether I need to actually have ARM media in the sulfur reactor as well as the second vessel. I don't know whether there is a problem in recirculating without aragonite?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sulfur reactor online...

Here she is, what a redneck beauty... In case you can't tell what's going on: Aqualifter moves water into pitcher with Two Little Fishies Microvalve inline, pitcher has sulfur media and Maxi-Jet 400 (interior shown above), pitcher reactor gravity drips to aragonite pitcher, which gravity drips back to tank.

I'm following the DIY reactor link path above, starting at 1 drip per second (about 12mL per minute). Rated about 160 gallon sulfur reactor (4 cups of sulfur). I got feedback that separating the media is far superior in design than combining them...so this reactor may work better than the real deal, ha.

[attachment=64023:name]

This completes the pitcher triumvirate of sulfur, carbon, biopellets in my sump. Hot diggity.