feeding acans help

jmhartney

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Help,
I have recently acquired two acan colonies (1, 3 months ago the other 1 month ago). The first looked good and even has some smaller new buds. In the last couple of weeks however it doesn't seem as inflated as it used to be. The newer colony looks great for now. I have Zoos, torch and toadstool that are doing well and growing. I suspect I need to do a better job spot feeding the acans. Right now I try to put some dry food pellets in the mouths maybe once a week first thing in the morning before the light come on and the 'tentacles' are out. They seem to grasp the pellets and digest them. However most recently it seems that my cleaner shrimp has become aware of my practice and sometimes comes over and plucks the food out of the acans. If I try feeding during the day other fish come and pull the food out. I have tried thawed frozen food but my flow is too strong for the frozen pieces to stay in the acan long enough to be snared.
Should I change feeding methods, food or timing? Thanks for the feedback and input.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
They don't need direct feeding of pellets in my experience. I feed my tank and they get plenty from the water column. They don't need a huge amount of light, either, so if they are getting too much light they might not do as well.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I agree they don't really to be direct fed, but finding them the right spot can be crucial. Try moving them around to different locations on the sand bed and see how they do

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They don't have to be fed at all. If they are struggling, then look for other reasons. If they are fine, then let them be.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My money would be on either too much light or a trace elements deficiency (Water change time). What salt do you use?

The Coral Shop.com

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I farm allot of acans and direct feeding helps a ton imo for color and long term survival. I will give the shrimp some food away from the corals and then feed em. Where most acans are collected it is very low visibility due to silt etc and does have a good amount of food. Light is on the lower side as well. Hope that helps