Fine sand

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Who's got it, and would you use it again?

I'm concerned about blowing sand...

Considering CaribSea, just don't know which yet...

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fine sand

I use it in all of my tanks and have had good luck with it. I probably would t use it if it was in a shallow tank with an mp10-40 but I don't have any issues with it in my 30. I am starting to like the look of larger grain sands now though but that doesn't mean fine grain is a bad choice. I have a bag of polite sand if you need it.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I had bad luck with the fine sugar sand in my 180, it just made a mess and got moved everywhere. Everything seemed to want to dig in it too.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a mix of sugar fine and "aragamax select" in my nanocube...it was mostly sugar fine though. My diamond goby got excited maybe once a month and caused a little storm, but for the most part it was no problem...even with an MP10 in there. We used 100% sugar fine in my girlfriend's 20long FOWLR tank that she had...with that shallow depth it was a nightmare, even though the tank only had an HOB filter and a pair of koralia nanos. It was extremely cloudy for the first few weeks, and the koralias basically had to be pointed up to keep it from blowing around.

I agree with what's been said...if you don't have a shallow reef you should be fine...otherwise you'll just have to wait for the tank to mature to crank up the flow. For the first few months with my tank, I had to dial it down a bit, but after a while I could crank the MP10 up to maybe 75% before it started kicking up sand.

On my new build I went with a much larger grain size. My one complaint with sugar fine sand in both tanks was difficulty in keeping the sandbed oxygenated enough. My girlfriend's tank had an army of dwarf ceriths and nassarius snails...but still had cyano issues even in a very lightly stocked tank (she did probably overfeed though, lol) My nanocube's sandbed was kept stirred by my diamond goby, but he wouldn't touch the area around the nem and I consistently had cyano there. I think if you stick with a 1" bed or less you probably won't have issues...but 2" has given me issues.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tried it, and hated it. If you have enough current in your tank, it's a constant cloud. I always have a 'digger' fish (diamond goby, tiger goby) because they keep toxins from building up in the sandbed. With fine sand, that means any coral anywhere near the bottom gets covered in fine sand, which means constantly dinking with the turkey baster. No thank you very much.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh true...I did kinda forget about that aspect. Although I didn't get storms, I did have to blow sand off my zoas with a turkey baster and un-bury them on occasion.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I currently have Fiji pink in my 120 and can see a small swirl that occurs back behind the rocks when my wp40 pulses. I like the look of the sand, but I am concerned with going forward.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
in my last 55g reef, i had fine sugar sand.. at first i hated it cuz it blew all over, but then as my tank matured, it was great. I ran an mp40 full bore with 2 koralia4 and didnt have a problem... Although I only had a watchman gobi and pistol shrimp, not any of the sand tornado making bastard fish. My next reef (120g) will have sugar sand in it as well as 3 mp40's.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, I think I decided on some Tropic Eden Reeflakes and Miniflakes, pricey, but amazing reviews.