First Frag tank

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I finally got my frag tank up and running. I would love everyone's good and bad views and advice on it. The frag tank is 15 gallons, with a 10 gallon sump. In the sump I am running a SWC 160 snow cone skimmer and a 700 GPH return pump with a control valve to help control the flow back to the frag tank. I am running 3/4" PVC for plumbing and for the return I have a locline going under the rack, to help stir up the water below and not let anything settle, and one locline skimming the top for water agitation. For lights I am running the Chinese LED Blackbox roughly 14" above the water line. No additives so far since the tank has been up and running for 4 days now. If anyone has any questions or advice on what I can do to improve the tank please feel free to share.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not at the moment. Was thinking of putting a power head in there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Update on the frag tank. I replaced the skimmer with a smaller rated one and threw in some cycled rock in the tank/sump to help with nutrients and bacteria in the tank. I also have a power head in there rated 80 GPH, the smallest I could find at the store without breaking the bank for it.

Today I went down to feed my fish that I threw in there because my 40 gal cracked. Grabbed a couple of pellets and touch the tip of my finger in the water and got shocked! I then dipped two more fingers in it and got the same result! Texted a fellow reefer (Sctip) and asked him a few questions and he pointed me in the right direction, thank you very much for that. I then grabbed my multi meter, googled how to test current in the tank and went at it. I unplugged everything and started plugged everything back in one by one to see which equipment was giving me that shock. After plugging everything it I didn't notice anything, so the last thing I forgot to plug in was my top off. Plugged it in and got shocked! I was thinking score I figured out the problem, I swapped out the top off with the one that was from my 40 gallon and tested again and still got shocked!

I then took the multi meter to my cube and tested it there and it barely read the tank at all. So I went back to the frag tank determined to find the source of current! I tested the frag again plugging everything in one by one and noticed my return pump was giving me a reading. So I went to the sump and stuck my finger in the water and got a shock a lot worse than I did before! Tested with the multi meter and it was really high, so I unplugged the pump and took it out, tested the water to make sure there was no more current and there wasn't. Got my other return pump from the 40 put it in the sump and now I'm roughly 2" short from my original plumbing.

So now I have a power head and a heater in the frag tank circulating the water and keeping it warm until I can go to HD tomorrow, get some more plumbing and hook up the return pump to the original plumbing. Hopefully this fixes the problem and I won't have any more current running through the tank! I'll update tomorrow whether my problem still exist or not.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I hope that helped. One thing I forgot to tell you, which I can't believe I forgot. You found the issue by getting shocked (minor). A serious electocution can occur in this hobby due to the conductivity of water and the addition of the minerals doesn't help any either. A ground probe is a great idea to help protect your animals, fish and coral, and especially you the reefer.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've read mixed reviews on the ground probe and that they only really work if they get plugged straight into the GFCI outlet, not into a power strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk