fish on a plane?

greeleyram3

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anybody know if you can carry live fish on a plane as a carry on? We're going to Florida this week and it Would Be Nice If I Could Maybe Bring some. More dwarf seahorses home since theyre pretty easy to find there.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm guessing since it's water, you won't get thru security checkpoint with more than 3oz.

But reminds me of:

[video=youtube;wHP0q7-EIL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHP0q7-EIL0&noredirect=1[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
In general live fish are pretty easy to get through official tsa policy has an exception for liquids containing live fish but individual inspectors can rarely be a pain

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Leave it to TSA to screw you though: "The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane."

Might be safer to ship?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should not have a problem bringing them back. Just make sure they have fresh water and not stuck in the same water for too long

greeleyram3

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I believe you actually only need a fishing permit to actually collect these guys yourself but not sure how it'd work out considering they probably full of different bacteria and such, right? And if they do is it a harm? Or can you get rid of them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would bring the TSA rules in print with you. I was coming back from Salt Lake to Denver last year,, and was denied carrying a sponge in a fish bag on board. I had to pack in my luggage. ( short flight).

greeleyram3

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok sounds good guys .. and I heard all you needed was a fishing license but not really sure. Haven't really heard of anywhere you could find em so I'd probably go on a different approach by hopefully finding them cheaper here at a local fish store

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
It is fairly easy to collect, just need a fishing liscense and a net of some sort, I used a buteryfly net when I went last year which worked real well. There are a lot of fish around the bridge pylons down around Miami and it's really easy to catch some, lots of tangs, angels, dwarf puffers, grunts, and possibly some lionfish. If you decide to go and want to bring me back an angel I won't even complain. Here is a thread about my trip a few years ago
http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?20122-Day-of-collecting-in-Florida