Fish Palace

These guys shop was sweltering! on top of that all the freshwater tanks were filtered ONLY with under-gravel filters. There was not a large selection of saltwater fish and the customer service was terrible. On top of all this the shop was unsightly and unappealing. BUT on a good note it was surrounded my many ethnic resturaunts (Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Thai) think I even saw a russian resturant in this strip mall so if your down to try something new to eat, go NEXT TO Fish Palace.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Suzanne Lynn;209620 said:
These guys shop was sweltering! on top of that all the freshwater tanks were filtered ONLY with under-gravel filters. There was not a large selection of saltwater fish and the customer service was terrible. On top of all this the shop was unsightly and unappealing. BUT on a good note it was surrounded my many ethnic resturaunts (Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Thai) think I even saw a russian resturant in this strip mall so if your down to try something new to eat, go NEXT TO Fish Palace.
There is nothing wrong with undergravel filters on a freshwater tank assuming they do water changes.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
WatercolorsGuy;209666 said:
I agree...but I tried to warn you...
Excellent write-up, and I don't think too harsh. Reality hurts, and if it's all accurate and truthful, I agree with your reasoning.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
nadking;209667 said:
There is nothing wrong with undergravel filters on a freshwater tank assuming they do water changes.
I agreed. most lfs that have fresh water fish will use under gravel or sponge filter because its cheap.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
dr.schlegs;209665 said:
Suzanne. Sounds like you found a couple of places to sell your dead seahorses. :eyebrows:
ROFLMAO!! She'll expect them to open a fine jewelry section.

haha NO cindy and they didnt clean their undergravel filters, and i find them insufficient for aquarium stores that often have a large amount of fish in a tank.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The store use to be very different, well kept, and a really good value. Hung was the owner and really cared about the place, and it was evident all the way around. He sold the business to Andy around 2yrs ago, and it fell fast. Their coral tank crashed a few times. Heck I was even giving advice, but they honestly don't know what they're doing. Last time I was there (more than a yr ago) they no longer even had coral. Sad, since I can walk there from my house (Yale and Peoria).

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
DyM;209985 said:
The store use to be very different, well kept, and a really good value. Hung was the owner and really cared about the place, and it was evident all the way around. He sold the business to Andy around 2yrs ago, and it fell fast.
Sad to see a good store fall into inexperienced and neglectful hands. To the detriment of the livestock health I would guess too. Just keeping our hobbyist home tank or 2 or 3 is a big effort. I couldn't imagine running an LFS!

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I drove to this place several months ago just to look around and i found several sick or dying fish in the displays....and FoxFace that was basically dead in the tank...swimming upside down every minute and then lying upside down on the sand sideways. Also saw some sick very pricey Tangs and their coral was insanely overpriced and unhealthy imo. I notified the guy and he said he knew...as if ...he was just gonna let it die.

I understand these places run on a extremely thin margin but basic care of your livestock is not a " margin " issue its pure negligence & laziness.

I think these LFS should model themselves after the ALWAYS BEAUTIFUL & CLEAN Aquatic Art & Elite Reef stores. Eric @ Aquatic Art & Mike & Heather @ Elite should go around town showing these aspiring fish/reef stores how to run a successful, clean and profitable fish business~ Just SKIP The Fish Palace
( More like Death Palace) and go straight to Aquatic Art or Elite for your needs....thats just my 2 cents. And I'm in no way connected to either of these places....they just have won my business by providing top notch service as far as an LFS is concerned.....and hopefully yours too :) Also gotta give props to my fav local vendors Ambrosia, Gonzo's, reefkoi and of course Mike @ The Coral Shop....who needs a place like this if we have all these aformentioned folks!

well the sad thing is they could probably just run all of the salt water tanks with a centralized system with a large sand filter and a pump with a sump (much cheaper too) unfortunately all I saw was a large fluval canister filter and a very dirty sump. They're costing themselves more and killing more fish by having such inadequate filtration, and as I said before the freshwater tanks only had very poorly maintained sponge filters.

I another observation that I have made in my visits to LFS, is that the "good" ones have someone cleaning. I can't remember the last time I was in AquaMart or Neptunes, and did not see someone with a rag, marker, or fish food in hand. There is a young girl at AquaMart ALWAYS cleaning. I understand margins are tight in the fish trade, but there is also the issue of personal pride in ownership of a business.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
dr.schlegs;210227 said:
I another observation that I have made in my visits to LFS, is that the "good" ones have someone cleaning. I can't remember the last time I was in AquaMart or Neptunes, and did not see someone with a rag, marker, or fish food in hand. There is a young girl at AquaMart ALWAYS cleaning. I understand margins are tight in the fish trade, but there is also the issue of personal pride in ownership of a business.
+1

Don't own a business like that if you're going to sacrifice the health of your fish to save money. they would probably save a fortune not keeping it as hot as a sauna in there.

Their priorities should be..
1) Health and welfare of the livestock (proper filtration and space)
2) product in this case they should focus on offering quality fish
3) aesthetics meaning they should turn down the heat and keep the aquariums clean and store presentable
4) customer service, meaning don't give customers the evil eye as they walk in the door.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Fish Palace

I don't know why....but we stopped in there today. After a terrible experience in Todd's this afternoon we decided to stop in at the Fish Palace. Nothing had changed since my last visit...
Tanks were the same, dead fish in tanks, lots of work cleaning could be done... The guy behind the counter never greeted us or even told us to get the hell out. We did see as we stood a few feet from the counter waiting for him to acknowledge us that he was very busy and should not be disturbed...in the reflection of the mirrored window he sat in front of we could see he was busy playing a video game....our money was not of his concern.